• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alternatives to DivX?

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of any players that will play DivX files besides DivX player? I'm kinda tired of fighting it's audio and syncronizing issues...

aphextwin07

Reaction score
what holymadness said, or MPC. those are the only two players you should ever need.

.bishop

Reaction score
VLC for everything.. the screen shot feature is awesome if you watch home videos too.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I'll try VLC. Seriously, **** DivX.

Kique

Reaction score
I've found KMPlayer to better than VLC, although they're both better than the standard DIVX player

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It depends on your computer and your OS. If you've got a lot of horsepower any of the freeware ones will do.

If you need to use hardware acceleration to get good performance your options are more limited. I have an H55 motherboard with an i3 on-the-cpu graphics chip and it doesn't work worth a damn with any of the free software codecs. With FFDShow it drops frames like crazy for no apparent reason. So I use windows 7's built-in codec, which supports the hardware acceleration.

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LordWanker
CCCP http://www.cccp-project.net/

Avoid this like the plague. This is product of spamville.

VLC is all you ever need. If you want an actual physical player that you can play on your TV, get Phillips DVP 5990. It reads USB drives/external HDs.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Okay....DivX isn't a player but a codec. You can use ANY video player once you have the DivX codec installed.

That being said, I think DivX sucks and prefer Xvid, a little bit higher quality and open source.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fraiche
Avoid this like the plague. This is product of spamville.

VLC is all you ever need. If you want an actual physical player that you can play on your TV, get Phillips DVP 5990. It reads USB drives/external HDs.

That player looks pretty sweet. How is the fast forwarding/rewinding on the USB drives?

I love my WD TV except for the fact that ff/rewind SUCKS.

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
That player looks pretty sweet. How is the fast forwarding/rewinding on the USB drives?

I love my WD TV except for the fact that ff/rewind SUCKS.

It's great; multiple speeds. Haven't had issues whatsoever.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I guess I should try that again.

Windows 7 comes with most of the video codecs you need. Maybe you need something for audio, I don't know--but video, it's got it built in. You just need a player and a splitter (or whatever it's called) to use the modern container formats (like mkv, vob, avi, etc.).

At least, I think that's how it works. Anyway, there's guides online to using the microsoft codec with third-party players/audio/container stuff.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fraiche
It's great; multiple speeds. Haven't had issues whatsoever.

Do they routinely issue firmware updates? I came close to getting a DVD player similar to this but decided against it assuming that something that cheap would be out of date and scrapped in a year or so.

I opted for the WD TV because regardless how cheap that one is, at least I can be relatively sure there will be firmware/codec updates.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads