• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alternatives to Chucks and Vans

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Wait so you want sneaks that look like chucks but you don't want chucks?
patch[1].gif

Pretty much. Most of the stuff being posted is either ugly, looks like a pair of chucks, looks like a pair of purcells, or looks like a pair of vans.

skiwebster

Reaction score
i like my duffs

they kinda look like slip-on vans but have a slightly different style that sets them off.

i've got the all black pf flyer's also and i never wear them. they are cool, but i don't like the look of all black i guess.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spacemanvt
what stores in Chinatown NYC carry those Easy canvas sneaks

i always walk around aimlessly looking/never finding anything

Just ask for "Easy USA shoes". A bunch of stores carry them, some only in black though.

landho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Wait so you want sneaks that look like chucks but you don't want chucks?

patch[1].gif

This was 100% what I was thinking.

Why not wear other sneakers? A lot of the people here tend to wear pretty dour ones. Onitsuka Tigers are pretty sleek, and Golas are even sleeker than that. And pretty soon after that you'll be heading over into Superfuture or Hypebeast territory, which isn't such a bad place to be if you're talking about sneakers.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought the deal with this thread was that people were looking for canvas sneakers that were not in fact identical to chucks (or purcells or whatever). So far I think these look good. Suggested earlier in this thread. Quite cheap too. And these by Lacoste. A little more expensive, but I think they look great. Found the link in the archives. I can't seem to find any other place selling them.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Philosoph
And these by Lacoste. A little more expensive, but I think they look great. Found the link in the archives. I can't seem to find any other place selling them.

I remember those
drool.gif

Lacoste-Rene-Shoe-Natural-large.jpg

Surfrider

Reaction score
I'm a fan of No Sweat, myself. I'm wearing a pair at this very moment, as it were.

Double D

Reaction score
Nike needs to reissue the Blazer Canvas.

If that ever happens I'll probably end up buying a roomful.

Hummingbird

Reaction score
I'm thinking <150.00 is reasonable for a sneaker. This thread should include any casual shoe that isn't dressy, and even things like Desert Boots are a great alternative to the chucks/vans ubiquity. Sadly, the cost will probably astronomical on these, but holy crap it's a good looking casual shoe. (wings+horns)
dsc_3329s.JPG

Hummingbird

Reaction score
I have another shoe, just spotted this morning. It's from A.P.C.'s S/S 08 Collection, and it's their collaboration with vans and the Sk8 high. Pretty nice. No word on pricing or availability.
2242984178_f2f3a2fe4d.jpg

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Surfrider
I'm a fan of No Sweat, myself. I'm wearing a pair at this very moment, as it were.
Been wearing my pair for the past year. Coming apart, now, but that's pretty much any Chuck or Chuckalike for you.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm interested to see what's so special about those APC Vans, because I believe white/white sk8-his are generally available. If they just put a guitar and dagger on the tongue, I can't say it'll be worth the trouble of finding them.

For you folks who don't see the appeal of shoes similar to chucks--isn't every pair of jeans essentially a 501 ripoff? That's the way levis legal team sees it anyway. Note: this isn't directed at jet, who I understand wears only gold, ruffly clothing and shoes.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have more recommendations along the lines of the Zig Zag shoes? I would like something similar to the Chucks, except without the rubber captoe, or something like the Vans in a &quot;blucher&quot; rather than &quot;balmoral.&quot;

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads