• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alternatives to cable tv?

tyates

Reaction score
I'm seriously thinking about doing away with my cable tv. I only really have it tuned to CNN/MSNBC most of the weekday mornings before work and after work. After I had my fill of news, there is really nothing that interests me. Not a big sports fan other than the olympics recently and the some Versus programming. If I go down to basic cable, I'll just have local programming. I can't stand watching local news and don't care for any thing else that the networks put out.

Anyway, I'd really like to ditch my cable tv service but I don't know what to do with my tv before/after work.. Any ideas?

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AppleTV? I don't know much about it, but it is an alternative.

tyates

Reaction score
I've thought about netflix and will probably do that as for as entertainment purposes go. I'd like to continue watching CNN/MSNBC during the mornings, but it doesn't make any sense to be paying for cable just to watch those two channels.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
DEFINITELY slingbox. It's tv for your computer. I'm watching baseball right now as I type. It costs about $120, and no monthly fees. Attach it to a cable box anywhere and watch television from anywhere in the world with an internet connections.

I put one in my parents house a couple of states away and they don't have to do anything - it just sits there on a cable box. No fees, no bs. Check it out.

http://www.slingmedia.com/

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't had television for a year. I don't even own one. Of course, I just download the few shows I watch which isn't technically kosher.

If you're just going to watch those two channels, why not read them online instead? Unless you like to just listen in the background while getting ready or something.

Maybe get a Slingbox or something and hook it up at your parents' place or something. I know options would be limited (as in you'd need somewhere to connect it that has cable service + internet) but just throwing it out there.

[edit]

I see I was ninja-ed on the Slingbox suggestion.

[/edit]

todesengel

Reaction score
Buy a mac mini or some htpc and hook it up to your TV. With that, your alternatives are:
-Netflix
-Downloading (legally or illegally)
-Streaming

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
DEFINITELY slingbox. It's tv for your computer. I'm watching baseball right now as I type. It costs about $120, and no monthly fees. Attach it to a cable box anywhere and watch television from anywhere in the world with an internet connections.

I put one in my parents house a couple of states away and they don't have to do anything - it just sits there on a cable box. No fees, no bs. Check it out.

Nice.

keikun13

Reaction score
I don't watch much TV, especially when I'm away at school (probably because I don't own a TV). However, I do follow a few shows and I get those on DVD or I stream them from Hulu (http://www.hulu.com/). Check it out, they have a great selection of movies and TV shows.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the past four years, I lived without cable TV. I got Blockbuster/Netflix and went to a nearby bar for my sports fix.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No TV here. All the big networks stream their shows now, often going a few seasons back and I have Netflix.

Legal, easy and a lot cheaper.

Also it helps having a bangin' 17 inch screen and altec lansing speakers on my laptop.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tyates
Anyway, I'd really like to ditch my cable tv service but I don't know what to do with my tv before/after work.. Any ideas?
If you really love CNN, there is no way around cable. Same for ESPN for some guys. They would pay $10 a month for ESPN alone but you can't do that. Do you have an HD TV with a tuner? You should just use an aerial antenna. This is what I do. Crystal clear digital TV, a lot of "secret" channels you probably have never heard of. I haven't had cable in about 3 years. I like to think I have saved $1000 with free aerial HD. For news I watch PBS.

Agnacious

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles

Maybe I do not understand this concept, but don't you still need cable service?

It seems like the OP asked how to get away from cable service and you told him how to have even more access to it. But perhaps I do not fully understand the slingbox concept.

sleekblackroadster

Reaction score
sounds like you just mooch off of someone else's cable box who would be kind enough to keep paying for their service while letting you attach the transmitting end of this sligbox deal to their cable box.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics