• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alternatives to Cable TV

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ugh, they've pissed me off over the past two days. I watch a lot of TV (I like to have it on) but honestly only have a few shows I watch on the regular (mostly on Showtime and HBO). IF I were to get rid of Cable, what are good ways to catch these shows live? I'd even consider going to a bar to watch them (there are a few in DC that have HBO, Madmen, etc. on Sunday nights) as it'd be cheaper or at least more social than watching at home.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
it's more social to go to a bar and watch tv there?

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Haven't had cable since 2001. Use netflix and hulu. You'll adjust. It's tv. Not like you'll be on your deathbed wishing you had just caught one more episode of Breaking Bad.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bittorrent...that's how I watched Mad Men, The Walking Dead, etc. As my cable provider didn't carry them anyway.

Last edited:

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What about internet? I can stay with Comcast, but I'm thinking of totally cutting off from them. Is Clearwire any good? ON their website, it's $50 a month for 6MB/s which seems pretty low as I get 52MB/s right now.

Last edited:

Disrop

Reaction score
Forget about cable TV and switch to streaming. Now it is the best alternative to cable TV

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for the revival. I will update my setup here in case any one happens to come across this. I did eventually ditch cable (it took a few more years) and use the following:

RCN - for internet
HBO Now - via $30-40 Roku (was already paying for this with cable)
Netflix - via Roku (ditto)
Amazon Prime - via Roku (ditto)
Al Jazeera - via Roku
Bloomberg News - via Roku
Network and Public Access TV - via $20 Antenna

*My cable bill was pretty much cut by over 50% to basically just lose ESPN and I now watch Monday Night Football at a bar. I don't miss (and after a few years am no longer aware of) whatever is on FX, AMC, etc., that I could be missing... Actually, I guess I'm behind on Better Call Saul but I just catch up whenever it's on Netflix. I am also grateful to be in the dark with whatever is on Cable News.

:teach:

Disrop

Reaction score
I think this is the best solution for you. Now you can enjoy the convenience and comfort of viewing. I switched to streaming four years ago and I don't regret it at all. Now I pay half as much as I used to for cable TV. For this, I want to thank a friend who once advised me to look for an alternative to cable TV at yourmoneygeek. Now I can watch whatever I want without any restrictions or advertising. This is an ideal option for those who are tired of expensive cable TV

zippyants

Reaction score
Yes. I already did cut our cable subscription and instead opted for a nextflix account. I dunno but tv shows now are getting boring and I can't pause it. The only tv show I watch right now is news!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads