• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alternatives to Brooks Brothers Shirts?

screwdriver

Reaction score
Hey, guys. I recently lost some weight, and the Brooks Brothers slim fit shirts I used to buy are baggy in the sleeves, midsection, and back now. I've come to terms with the fact that I'm never going to find an OTR shirt that fits me well (7" drop), but I'm still evaluating my options for new shirts.

Is there a better quality/better fitting shirt in a similar price range? Also, should I be considering MTM instead of OTR+tailor?

velvel87

Reaction score
I'm guessing a lot of people also look at Charles Tyrwhitt and TM Lewin. Brooks also makes an extra slim fit shirt, if you haven't seen it.

screwdriver

Reaction score
I'm guessing a lot of people also look at Charles Tyrwhitt and TM Lewin. Brooks also makes an extra slim fit shirt, if you haven't seen it.

I tried an extra slim from Brooks, and it's way too tight in the chest. There's still no taper - it's just slimmer overall.

Also, from reading around here, I learned that Charles Tyrwhitt and TM Lewin weren't very good quality for the price. I just learned about ModernTailor.com, so I may try that route... but there's so many choices on there...

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also, from reading around here, I learned that Charles Tyrwhitt and TM Lewin weren't very good quality for the price

I can't speak to TM Lewin's quality.

As for Charles Tyrwhitt, they're not good quality for the price if one pays the full price of, like, $160 per shirt. But it's dead easy to buy C.T. shirts for a fraction of that price (due to frequent sales, coupons, clearances, etc.), and at $30-60 per shirt the quality is perfectly reasonable.

screwdriver

Reaction score
and at $30-60 per shirt the quality is perfectly reasonable.

I'd prefer to spend a little more to get a better quality shirt. However, I don't want to be spending $200 per tailored shirt, just in case my size changes again soon. They're all going to be dress shirts for work ("business casual").

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How might your shape change going forward? If you're thinking of bulking up and adding significantly more muscle mass in your upper body, I'd hold off on getting shirts made up. If it's more likely that you're going to lose a bit of weight and maybe slim down in the waist, this is less of a concern. Frankly, losing or gaining an inch or so in your chest or waist isn't really cause for too much concern with custom clothing as there should be enough allowance that the fit is still good.

Luxire is a decent option for cheaper MTM. Try a test shirt (measure your BB shirt and make adjustments for how you'd like it to fit) and you'll probably end up with something with a decent fit. It may take a couple iterations to really nail the fit but the test shirts are cheap enough (or you could even order a relatively inexpensive fabric).

Your other option is to find something that fits you okay in the chest, shoulders and arms and get it taken in at the waist.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, guys. I recently lost some weight, and the Brooks Brothers slim fit shirts I used to buy are baggy in the sleeves, midsection, and back now. I've come to terms with the fact that I'm never going to find an OTR shirt that fits me well (7" drop), but I'm still evaluating my options for new shirts.

Is there a better quality/better fitting shirt in a similar price range? Also, should I be considering MTM instead of OTR+tailor?

Kamakura- Tokyo Slim is slimmer than BB Extra slim fit

screwdriver

Reaction score
If you're thinking of bulking up and adding significantly more muscle mass in your upper body, I'd hold off on getting shirts made up. If it's more likely that you're going to lose a bit of weight and maybe slim down in the waist, this is less of a concern. Frankly, losing or gaining an inch or so in your chest or waist isn't really cause for too much concern with custom clothing as there should be enough allowance that the fit is still good.

Luxire is a decent option for cheaper MTM. Try a test shirt (measure your BB shirt and make adjustments for how you'd like it to fit) and you'll probably end up with something with a decent fit. It may take a couple iterations to really nail the fit but the test shirts are cheap enough (or you could even order a relatively inexpensive fabric).

Your other option is to find something that fits you okay in the chest, shoulders and arms and get it taken in at the waist.

Yep - I'm definitely planning on bulking up. I lost about half an inch to an inch on my neck size, so I'm trying to work out a bit harder now. All of this will probably take some time, so I just didn't want to continue wearing baggy clothing until then. What would you guys suggest?

I'm not sure what their sizing chart means (http://shop.kamakurashirts.com/content_en_USD_8.html), but I was trying to avoid shirts with darts, if possible.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Seconded. And if you are going to bulk up as you claim, then the New York slim fit would do fine. IMHO the quality is higher than Brooks Brothers and the collar roll on the OCBDs is more like the classic Ivy look than BB are these days (they are also cheaper if you buy them from out here in Japan where they are the equivalent of $50 each! Plus sleeve adjustments are free unlike CT and others - not sure if that applies to order from the USA)...

As for sizing, I just ignore the slightly odd fitting advice they give about buying bigger, and get my normal collar size and they are perfect.

screwdriver

Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I ended up getting a couple of the Brooks Luxury shirts during their winter sale. I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I'm going to have to get every shirt I wear tailored, so I'm just going to find a slim fit I like & take it to my tailor. I can have him leave a little extra room in the upper body, just in case.

I'll definitely check out the recommendations in the thread, though. Thanks again!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads