Alternatives to Barbour's Disgusting Tartan

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by datrat, Sep 12, 2016.

1. datrat

datrat Member

I've been eyeing Barbour Ashbys lately. They fit me nicely (as a short-ish 5'7" male) and work well with my general "image" and outfits (as a grad student, jeans and casual leather shoes, sometimes with a blazer).

To me it is the perfect rain/weather jacket that I can wear when a ski jacket isnt necessary but it is too wet for wool.

My pet peeve: the F-ugly "signature" tartan. I just don't wear those shades of brown and tan. They don't work with my color scheme. Even if they did I would never wear that particular tartan because it is a vomit-like combination of colors and shapes. And I find the aspirational values that that pattern screams kind of disgusting too. I really don't want to advertise I have a Barbour too, but it seems like a relatively inexpensive and functional rain coat with clean lines on its EXTERIOR.

So, to get to the point:

Does anyone know if Barbours can be found with solid colored linings? (for the navy jacket, a solid royal blue interior would be _perfect_ but hell even black would be better than that tartan). Even a tartan based primarily in blues and whites would be preferable.

What other jackets could fulfill this purpose--as a nice looking, clean-lined, solid colored "shell" for everyday wear that isn't a ski jacket and isnt wool (which won't work for me in the wet) and that can fit over a sport jacket if I have a conference?

What are Barbour Ashby alternatives? (with nicer interior colors)

2. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

You can just get the jacket relined. Would cost you maybe $25-50.

Otherwise, look into John Patridge, Hoggs of Fife, Orvis, LL Bean, Brooks Brothers, Ralph Lauren, and J. Crew. They usually have waxed cotton coats.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016

3. GBR

GBR Senior member

Can you actually see the tartan you seem to despise so much? If you are blessed with better sight than the rest of us, fine otherwise buy it for the purpose you outline else buy something else.

4. Gerry

Gerry Senior member

[​IMG]
    There are plenty of alternatives if you purchase outside of Barbour as has already been mentioned. I have a Barbour Jacket and would not call the lining disgusting but everyone to their own, however given that the tartan is on the inside of the jacket is it that awfull for you. This is my lining which I would not call disgusting: