• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alternatives to Allen Edmonds shoes?

JohnGagne

Reaction score
Aesthetically, AE shoes just didn't work out for me. However, they have a versatile stable of shoes at very reasonable prices, whether you buy them full price at ~$330 or as seconds / on sale at ~$200. With the number of styles they have, one could easily and economically stock their entire shoe collection using only AE.

That's what I'm looking for - suggestions for another reasonably priced, "one-stop shop" brand. My next choice was Alden but the price point jumps to $450-$500 (not that they aren't worth it). So what other brands should I consider?

Thanks!

Last edited:

boo

Reaction score
I've recently switched from AE to Magnanni as my shoe of choice. I don't think the leather is as high a quality, but they have a more contemporary aesthetic, extremely comfortable insole, and can always be found for under $200 in discounter stores like Off Fifth or Last Call.

ManCrush

Reaction score
Although I would be considered a newbie by the veterans here, I've lurked for years, so my confusion as to your question is not one of being new to the boards. You say you think the AE's are very reasonable even at retail of $330, but you choose to pass on Aldens at $450 as apparently being too much. That's not a lot of leeway, my friend. As to your question; I would simply save a tad more cash and get benchgrade C & J's that can be had for about $500, but if you find the Aldens too much then I guess they're out. You should probably stick with the AE's. I don't see you getting a jump in quality by only being willing to spend less than 100 bucks or so. Good luck.

Last edited:

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
loake 1880, loake for herring (bit cheaper), cheaney (bit more expensive)

trouble is that you won't be able to try them on before buying

JohnGagne

Reaction score
boo - you're right about Magnanni's, for all of the reasons you mentioned (but especially the more contemporary look).

ManCrush - I see your point about price. I should have focused on the sale aspect of AE's more. Over the last few months we've been able to grab Park Avenues, Strands, Kenilworths, Cliftons, and Bostons for around $200 each (either on sale or as seconds). Those names alone would have filled out a nice selection and only cost around $1,000 total. Aldens retail at (let's say) $450 but if there were comparable sales or seconds offerings, that could easily put them in the top spot. And there might be, I just haven't seen them (yet).

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't even the slightest interest in Alden. They are overpriced to hell and are not very attractive, so you're not alone there.

Magnannis are nice...no question I have a pair of double monks. Trouble is they take the chiseled toe a little far and that works only with some suiting and very rarely with casual outfits.

JohnGagne

Reaction score
Quad, Fred, at first glance the Loakes look nice! Thanks so much for the suggestion!

Last edited:

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had good luck ordering Loakes from forum affiliate A Fine Pair Of Shoes. I definitely would recommend them for Loakes. I know others have used Pediwear as well. I find they are a whole size lower than AE. My foot is slightly wide (AE 10E) but the UK standard fitting for Loake (UK 9F) fits me really well. I actually ordered a pair of Loake Litchfields from A Fine Pair Of Shoes and they arrived in NJ the next day, which I didn't even realize would even be possible.
Fred

ncdobson

Reaction score
Meermin look to have very nice shoes, but their online retail site isn't up yet. I have double monks due in tomorrow, so I can comment then on quality, fit, etc.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Aesthetically, AE shoes just didn't work out for me.  However, they have a versatile stable of shoes at very reasonable prices, whether you buy them full price at ~$330 or as seconds / on sale at ~$200.  With the number of styles they have, one could easily and economically stock their entire shoe collection using only AE. 

That's what I'm looking for - suggestions for another reasonably priced, "one-stop shop" brand.  My next choice was Alden but the price point jumps to $450-$500 (not that they aren't worth it).  So what other brands should I consider?

Thanks!

Not sure if it has been mentioned...You might want to check out Grenson as well.

motosacto

Reaction score
To Boot New York. The shoes that I have seen are mostly Blake or Rapid construction, not Goodyear welted, though. If you're a Goodyear snob, that could be a problem. The one pair of wingtips I have are holding up very well, and Adam Derrick seems to be designing a nice variety of styles...

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To Boot New York.  The shoes that I have seen are mostly Blake or Rapid construction, not  Goodyear welted, though. If you're a Goodyear snob, that could be a problem.  The one pair of wingtips I have are holding up very well, and Adam Derrick seems to be designing a nice variety of styles...

meh. The leathers on the TBNY shoes I've seen were very disappointing and seemed to crease substantially. To me they are more of a fashion brand

JohnGagne

Reaction score
Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions - I definitely have a lot to work with here.

I'm already into Magnannis and so far that's a direction I like - a nice contemporary shoe for a slim foot with a decent sized heel at a nice price. TBNY shoes also look nice but I've only seen a few in person and they seem to have the same slightly abbreviated heel that AE has, though I need to see them side by side to be sure (I'm probably wrong here).

Loakes look very promising and thanks Fred for the forum hookup.

The Meermins look really nice online, I just wish they were easier to see in person. The same goes with the Grensons - some of these just look amazing!

Like I said, lots to work with. Thanks!

electronicsjunkie

Reaction score

Although I would be considered a newbie by the veterans here, I've lurked for years, so my confusion as to your question is not one of being new to the boards.  You say you think the AE's are very reasonable even at retail of $330, but you choose to pass on Aldens at $450 as apparently being too much.  That's not a lot of leeway, my friend.  As to your question; I would simply save a tad more cash and get benchgrade C & J's that can be had for about $500, but if you find the Aldens too much then I guess they're out.  You should probably stick with the AE's.  I don't see you getting a jump in quality by only being willing to spend less than 100 bucks or so.  Good luck.

Where can one get C&J's for $500?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads