• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earn a commission for the forum and allow us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Alternative to leather watchband for hot climate?

Twists

Reaction score
I usually wear watches with leather watchbands (since my watches all come with such... A. Lange&Söhne and some other Glashütte watches), but since I moved to Singapore, I find myself not wearing a watch anymore for two reasons:

(i) the leather band stains my shirts when I sweat (which tends to happen in this climate), and
(ii) the leather bands start to spoil and have to be replaced.

Does anyone know a good alternative that works in tropical climate and still looks decent enough to wear with a suit?

MartiniGirl

Reaction score
Beautiful watches you have! Look in to Kevlar straps. The rubber straps can be uncomfortable and sometimes, ugly. I wouldn't recommend stainless steel bracelets if you're in a very humid/hot area. My best advice/opinion is Kevlar straps.

MSchott

Reaction score
There is no alternative to a fine leather (crocodile or alligator) strap for a fine precious metal watch like a Lange. There are quality straps that have liners that are more stain resistant and there are companies like ABP in Paris and Camille Fournet that can make a strap to your specifications.

The other alternative is to wear a watch like a Cartier Tank Francais or Rolex Datejust which look good on a bracelet and are not too sporty to wear with a suit.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have used these rubber TWB straps before - I find them neither ugly nor uncomfortable, though I don't see them as good aesthetic match for a Lange. Depending on the GO model in question, they would work just fine.

I have a strong preference right across the watch spectrum for straps versus bracelets, but in conditions of constant and severe humidity, bracelets rule.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
With a suit is a bit harder, but for casual wear I go with a braided band like this one:

It's extremely breathable and looks good (though a bit rugged).

MartiniGirl

Reaction score
What I meant by the "rubber straps" was

That braided strap that bourbanbasted showed, looks great!

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What Is The Best Value Shoe Brand For Money?

• Meermin

Votes: 37 15.0%
  • TLB Mallorca

Votes: 40 16.3%
  • Cheaney

Votes: 9 3.7%
  • Carmina

Votes: 39 15.9%
  • Crockett & Jones

Votes: 43 17.5%
  • Other

Votes: 78 31.7%