• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alternative to Express 1MX dress shirt?

ethirtynine

Reaction score
a month ago i bought 2 Express 1MX dress shirts on sale ($25) and though i like the cut and modern fit, the fabric is just horrible. these shirts are sooooo noisy. just moving around makes a swooshing sound. is there any alternative that has similar cut and fit but with better (non swooshing) fabric? and similar price too?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
H&M's slim fit dress shirts come in some reasonably good fabrics (some are not good, though). I don't know how they hold up as mine are new, but the fit is great on me. If they hold up I'll be getting more, most likely. They are $40 retail.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick question for you J. How the hell do you get H&M stuff up here in the PNW? I am at a loss as I have wanted a pair of Sliqs for awhile but no one has had any posted on this SF or SuFu in anything my size. Also I would like to see a few objects in person before I comit to buy it, you know what I'm sayin.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like H&M, too. The 1MX shirts are slim but still sort of boxy, but the H&M's seem to be slimmer on the sides and cut better all around. You might also try Zara - there aren't as many retail stores, but you can still find them on ebay and also at TJ Maxx on rare occasions for real cheap ($15).

I have also had bad experiences with the solid colored 1MX stretch shirts fading poorly in certain areas. Some of the patterned ones in the Premium fabrics are interesting, and feel/wear better in terms of the fabrics.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 1MX shirts are simply awful. I don't know if I'd take any for free. Without resorting to made to measure like Jantzen, you're probably best with H&M at that price point.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ratboycom
Quick question for you J. How the hell do you get H&M stuff up here in the PNW? I am at a loss as I have wanted a pair of Sliqs for awhile but no one has had any posted on this SF or SuFu in anything my size. Also I would like to see a few objects in person before I comit to buy it, you know what I'm sayin.
I bought them while I was in SF, and if I want more, I'll call someone who lives in LA near a store and have her send it up. They are such idiots for not taking web orders.

P.s., they didn't have the Sliqs while I was there, or at least nothing raw/onewash.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe there are quite a few fans of Target's Mossimo (slim fit) shirt offerings around here. Haven't tried them myself but it seems like they would represent a better buy/value than either H&M, Zara or Express.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
Without resorting to made to measure like Jantzen, you're probably best with H&M at that price point.
Whaddayamean "like Jantzen", are there less sketchy alternatives that can produce truly slim shirts for anywhere close to the same price? I don't even have ready access to Target, never mind Zara or H&M. And I want a wardrobe's worth of good shirts, not just the white, black, and amjack sold at the aforementioned.

Doc Martin

Reaction score
I agree, the fabric is right up there with the worst fabrics that I have ever worn. It is really itchy and fades badly.

billyhoyle

Reaction score
brooks brothers makes some slim fit shirts that are pretty good quality. however, they aren't nearly as slim fitting as shirts from places like zara. they sell 3 of them for under $200.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads