• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

alternative tie clips

zaciam

Reaction score
I dont wear a tie too often but when I do I like to set it apart from the average tie. Lately i use brouches (yes womens but i pick those that arent to femmie) -bad idea? Any alternative suggestions?

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Some bijoux.
pin002.jpg

Minkous

Reaction score
I often times buy large safety pins and pin my tie to my shirt. Its simple and cheep and it adds a lil something extra to your outfit. (I got the idea from a gentlemen on thesartorialist blog)

wiru

Reaction score
+1 on the safety pin. A paperclip is good too.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
sounds like an interesting idea zaciam ... can you post some picks of what you mean?

I purchased a couple of vintage georg jensen tie bars not long ago which are silver and nice and simple... though one I believe is specifically designed for use with slim ties (its from the 80s) which was a tad disappointing ...

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Minkous
I often times buy large safety pins and pin my tie to my shirt. Its simple and cheep and it adds a lil something extra to your outfit. (I got the idea from a gentlemen on thesartorialist blog)

Yes, I sometimes do this with a 14k safety pin.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by caelte
Are you really Eric Glennie?

None of that in the picture is patented by Etro, Lanvin, Hermes or Band of Outsiders.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by caelte
Are you really Eric Glennie?
No, there are colors in his shirt other than white.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I use three staples going across the middle of the tie (not too high). Actually, if you wear a skinnier tie (<3") you could get away with two staples. Make sure to staple with shirt underneath, not just the tie, otherwise the get up is not functional.

What I started doing recently is, if you go to Office Max or Staples, they have different color staples. I pretty much stick to the black ones (aside from classic silver), but I have seen red/green/yellow/even pink available. I would assume some of these colors go well with certain colors/designs of tie, but I'm not too good at pattern matching so I will leave that one up to you.

Lastly, make sure that if you are wearing a striped or repp tie, you go WITH the stripes (parallel). Trust me the whole staple thing just looks really stupid and "clashy" otherwise. Good luck!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads