• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alternate to Dristan for unblocking nose?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got a cold and have reached that stage where at least one nostril is blocked. I'm pretty sure Dristan is the only stuff that works, because Salinex and all those other saline solutions don't do ****. The problem is that you can only use dristan for like 3 days because after that it's supposed to be bad for you. Is there anything else that effectively clears your nose and sinuses as well as Dristan?

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sudafed.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^ Dristan and Sudafed have the same active ingredient (pseudoephedrine), so switching to Sudafed wouldn't do much good.

Just out of curiousity, why can't you use Dristan for more than three days?

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
Just out of curiousity, why can't you use Dristan for more than three days?
Prolonged use of oxymetazoline can cause rebound congestion, increased risk of side effects such as headache, palpitations, blurry vision, etc. and also permanent damage to the nasal tissue leading to chronic congestion. It's an alpha adrenergic agonist and acts locally by constricting the blood vessels in your nose facilitating drainage and leading to decreased congestion. *** You can try using menthol or eucalyptus inhalers or steam. Alternatively, just buy some Bronkaid. It's for asthma but the ephedrine will help relieve congestion. Combine with any OTC pain reliever such as ibuprofen if you have sinus pain. Of course, there's regular Sudafed and the like. Don't use ephedrine if you have any heart or thyroid problems. Don't use at night or you won't be able to sleep. Never tried it but have heard good things about nasal irrigation with a neti pot. I believe there are also more commercial products available at drugstores. At night, chug some Nyquil and I've always had great success with my grandmother's age-old recommendation to cut an onion and leave it next to my bed. The "vapors" help me to breathe easier.

Crosstalker

Reaction score
I had a horrendous sinus infection in December. Someone gave me a menthol inhaler, and I thought it would do absolutely nothing for me. Shockingly, they work! I'd pick one up and try it out. While it won't unstop your nose for the long haul, it will keep you going for a fair amount of time. It made things bearable for me.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
You could try a neti pot:

neti-pot-5.jpg

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
East Sushi. LOTS of wasabi. Nasal Passages: CLEAR!!!!

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I neti twice a day...prone to severe sinus infections...this keeps me clear. Not really a decongestant, but it keeps cleab=ning out sinuses and nostrils will keep infection away.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
Prolonged use of oxymetazoline can cause rebound congestion, increased risk of side effects such as headache, palpitations, blurry vision, etc. and also permanent damage to the nasal tissue leading to chronic congestion.

It's an alpha adrenergic agonist and acts locally by constricting the blood vessels in your nose facilitating drainage and leading to decreased congestion.

teacha.gif
I didn't know this (I've never used Dristan). Thanks for the info!

So then that would make my statement on Sudafed incorrect, yes? It's not the pseudoephedrine that's the issue, it's the topical decongestant, so he could ostensibly switch to Sudafed.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As long as you don't take Oxymetazolines for an extended period (~3 days max) you'll be fine. Whenever I have congestion from a cold or something I take Afrin for the first few days. Especially since I'm a woodwind player, it is very important to have something that makes it easier to breathe. After I stop taking it, the congestion comes back, but by the third or fourth day I'm already feeling somewhat better so I don't mind as much.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some athletes also take many Sudafed before games as high doses will increase energy and stamina.

Mayflower

Reaction score
I've got a cold and have reached that stage where at least one nostril is blocked. I'm pretty sure Dristan is the only stuff that works, because Salinex and all those other saline solutions don't do ****. The problem is that you can only use dristan for like 3 days because after that it's supposed to be bad for you. Is there anything else that effectively clears your nose and sinuses as well as Dristan?

If you really want something to shift your nasal congestion try sinusoothe. This is saline based but really packs a pupuch as it has cinnamon it. Clears congestion like nothing else I've used and isn't addictive. Helps me sleep straight through the night.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads