• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Altering women's double-breasted jacket for male use?

Reaction score
Is it possible to alter a women's double-breasted jacket to fit like a men's jacket? I'm on the small side (36S-ish), which makes it somewhat hard to find RTW jackets in my size, at least at below-retail prices. While single-breasted women's jackets have the buttons on the wrong side, double-breasted jackets are symmetric, so I was hoping that I might be able to alter something like this Ralph Lauren Collection double-breasted blazer to fit me.

r2lblueblzrfrtgq01.jpg

The shoulder size (17") is good; what I would want to do is take the chest and waist out an inch or two, shorten the jacket and sleeves an inch or two, and replace the buttons by smaller ones. Are these alterations possible, and would they result in a good-looking men's jacket? Also, is the quality of Ralph Lauren Collection comparable to men's RLPL? Or is this whole endeavour just a Bad Ideaâ„¢?

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is possible. Don't do it. There are plenty of 36S on eBay.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by changy
Do it and post pics.

I thought you might want to see where you are going:

gates_of_hell.jpg

Mudhiker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Instigator

Enabler.

Terrible idea. That said, Please, OP, do try it and post before and after fit pics.
biggrin.gif

GloStiX

Reaction score
I'm always tempted to have a tailor remove the hip flare of womens jackets and coats since I'm 5'7" 125lb. Most small sizes in the US are still too big for me.

Honestly I see nothing wrong with it, it's just a more creative way of appropriating clothing for your wardrobe. I don't discriminate where I shop at all, Levis boys sizes are great for slim fit chinos and such too.

alexanduh

Reaction score
only do it if its in the chicago manual of style.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
changy's response was not surprising, considering who he has as his avatar
laugh.gif

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would say don't
1. woman got boobs you don't, not sure how the chest is going to look like afterwards (even after alteration, which I am not sure how it will be done)
2. woman's jacket has a lot more curve, for lack of better word, the amount of waist suppression on that thing is a lot more than what you will see on man
3. look at the shoulder padding, is this thing recent or has the big shoulder padding thing coming back again? I thought woman doesn't wear jacket with ridiculous shoulder padding anymore. This make the shoulder almost look flat...

in any case I would say don't do it.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
no!

cmacey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoManualOfStyle
Is it possible to alter a women's double-breasted jacket to fit like a men's jacket? I'm on the small side (36S-ish), which makes it somewhat hard to find RTW jackets in my size, at least at below-retail prices. While single-breasted women's jackets have the buttons on the wrong side, double-breasted jackets are symmetric, so I was hoping that I might be able to alter something like this Ralph Lauren Collection double-breasted blazer to fit me.

r2lblueblzrfrtgq01.jpg

The shoulder size (17") is good; what I would want to do is take the chest and waist out an inch or two, shorten the jacket and sleeves an inch or two, and replace the buttons by smaller ones. Are these alterations possible, and would they result in a good-looking men's jacket? Also, is the quality of Ralph Lauren Collection comparable to men's RLPL? Or is this whole endeavour just a Bad Ideaâ„¢?

For the love of GOD man, a little self respect! At least tell us it isn't your girlfriends old thing. Dig deep and keep looking for men's wear!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads