Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Altering women's double-breasted jacket for male use?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ChicagoManualOfStyle, Feb 27, 2011.

1. ChicagoManualOfStyle

ChicagoManualOfStyle Member

Is it possible to alter a women's double-breasted jacket to fit like a men's jacket? I'm on the small side (36S-ish), which makes it somewhat hard to find RTW jackets in my size, at least at below-retail prices. While single-breasted women's jackets have the buttons on the wrong side, double-breasted jackets are symmetric, so I was hoping that I might be able to alter something like this Ralph Lauren Collection double-breasted blazer to fit me.

[​IMG]

The shoulder size (17") is good; what I would want to do is take the chest and waist out an inch or two, shorten the jacket and sleeves an inch or two, and replace the buttons by smaller ones. Are these alterations possible, and would they result in a good-looking men's jacket? Also, is the quality of Ralph Lauren Collection comparable to men's RLPL? Or is this whole endeavour just a Bad Ideaâ„¢?

2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

3. changy

changy Senior member

Do it and post pics.

4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

5. landshark

landshark Senior member

It is possible. Don't do it. There are plenty of 36S on eBay.

6. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

Do it and post pics.

I thought you might want to see where you are going:

[​IMG]

7. Mudhiker

Mudhiker Senior member

Instigator

Enabler.

Terrible idea. That said, Please, OP, do try it and post before and after fit pics. [​IMG]

8. GloStiX

GloStiX Senior member

I'm always tempted to have a tailor remove the hip flare of womens jackets and coats since I'm 5'7" 125lb. Most small sizes in the US are still too big for me.

Honestly I see nothing wrong with it, it's just a more creative way of appropriating clothing for your wardrobe. I don't discriminate where I shop at all, Levis boys sizes are great for slim fit chinos and such too.

9. SpooPoker

Enabler.

C'mon, kid. Try a pocket square. It'll make ya fly [​IMG]

10. alexanduh

alexanduh Senior member

only do it if its in the chicago manual of style.

11. blahman

blahman Senior member

changy's response was not surprising, considering who he has as his avatar [​IMG]

12. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

I would say don't
    1. woman got boobs you don't, not sure how the chest is going to look like afterwards (even after alteration, which I am not sure how it will be done)
    2. woman's jacket has a lot more curve, for lack of better word, the amount of waist suppression on that thing is a lot more than what you will see on man
    3. look at the shoulder padding, is this thing recent or has the big shoulder padding thing coming back again? I thought woman doesn't wear jacket with ridiculous shoulder padding anymore. This make the shoulder almost look flat...

in any case I would say don't do it.

13. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

no!

14. cmacey

cmacey Senior member

Is it possible to alter a women's double-breasted jacket to fit like a men's jacket? I'm on the small side (36S-ish), which makes it somewhat hard to find RTW jackets in my size, at least at below-retail prices. While single-breasted women's jackets have the buttons on the wrong side, double-breasted jackets are symmetric, so I was hoping that I might be able to alter something like this Ralph Lauren Collection double-breasted blazer to fit me.

[​IMG]

The shoulder size (17") is good; what I would want to do is take the chest and waist out an inch or two, shorten the jacket and sleeves an inch or two, and replace the buttons by smaller ones. Are these alterations possible, and would they result in a good-looking men's jacket? Also, is the quality of Ralph Lauren Collection comparable to men's RLPL? Or is this whole endeavour just a Bad Ideaâ„¢?

For the love of GOD man, a little self respect! At least tell us it isn't your girlfriends old thing. Dig deep and keep looking for men's wear!

15. Lightbringer

Lightbringer Senior member

Gosh, please don't do it. It won't end well.