• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Altering trouser length

1Dgaf

Reaction score
Hello. Firstly, I trust you all had a good Christmas and New Year. Â Secondly, I need to have some suit trousers shortened. Â The suit is a 40s with 34s trousers. Â I normally wear a 38 and have a 33/33.5" waist. Â Would it be best to just have the trousers shortened, or should I have them shortened and tapered somehow? Â When the assistant in the shop pinned the trousers, he did so in such a way as to decrease the length and 'pinch' the material at the back, making the leg look a little thinner than its opposite. I know I should only get suits that fit my measurements exactly, but it was on sale and they weren't getting any 38s in. Â The jacket seems to fit OK. Also, I bought something else that was a bit big for me, again on sale, no others coming in. Â It's a 40R: http://www.hackett.co.uk/1099.html How much do you thinkt the sleeves could be taken up without the entire jacket looking out of whack? Â It has working buttonholes; would that be a problem/increase the price of alterations? THanks in advance.

1Dgaf

Reaction score
Hello.

Thanks for the reply. I don't know much about the cut of trousers or how to describe cut. I think I'll just get them shortened, but FYI There doesn't seem to be too much tapering in the leg at the moment and they're not particularly narrow at the ankle. They've got turn ups.

It's a suit that I can imagine someone wearing in a 1940s film (though perhaps that's because it's a three piece).

I think changing the jacket from a 40R to a 38R will be too expensive an undertaking. I can live with it covering my bottom a little too much. Hopefully altering the sleeves won't be too expensive. At least I now know it can be done.

Thanks again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads