1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Altering trouser length

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by 1Dgaf, Jan 16, 2005.

1. 1Dgaf

1Dgaf Senior Member

Hello. Firstly, I trust you all had a good Christmas and New Year. Â Secondly, I need to have some suit trousers shortened. Â The suit is a 40s with 34s trousers. Â I normally wear a 38 and have a 33/33.5" waist. Â Would it be best to just have the trousers shortened, or should I have them shortened and tapered somehow? Â When the assistant in the shop pinned the trousers, he did so in such a way as to decrease the length and 'pinch' the material at the back, making the leg look a little thinner than its opposite. I know I should only get suits that fit my measurements exactly, but it was on sale and they weren't getting any 38s in. Â The jacket seems to fit OK. Also, I bought something else that was a bit big for me, again on sale, no others coming in. Â It's a 40R: http://www.hackett.co.uk/1099.html How much do you thinkt the sleeves could be taken up without the entire jacket looking out of whack? Â It has working buttonholes; would that be a problem/increase the price of alterations? THanks in advance.

2. 1Dgaf

1Dgaf Senior Member

Hello.

Thanks for the reply. I don't know much about the cut of trousers or how to describe cut. I think I'll just get them shortened, but FYI There doesn't seem to be too much tapering in the leg at the moment and they're not particularly narrow at the ankle. They've got turn ups.

It's a suit that I can imagine someone wearing in a 1940s film (though perhaps that's because it's a three piece).

I think changing the jacket from a 40R to a 38R will be too expensive an undertaking. I can live with it covering my bottom a little too much. Hopefully altering the sleeves won't be too expensive. At least I now know it can be done.

Thanks again.