• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

altering suit from 39 to 38

intfxdx

Reaction score
First of all it's the last time i bought a suit on ebay, it's the 2nd one. i bought a suit it's a polo ralph lauren, but marked as made in USA (union made in the USA), so i guess it's a outlet product.. the seller wrote it's a 38 but suit is marked as 39 (even if i asked him if suit is marked 38, he replied yes..)
what do you think from these pictures, sorry for the quality of pictures but it's hard to take photo alone with a dslr.
Do you think that it worth to alter the suit from 39 to 38 ? a little bit from chest and waist ? i bought it for $90,i can still return it or i can ask to seller a refund of $20 for participating to altering ? Please any advice.. Thanks.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For future reference, it's best to measure your best fitting jacket and then buy suits/jackets based upon its measurements rather than the labeled size. I've found sizes vary considerably among manufacturers and even within one brand.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A good tailor is going to cost more than 20 to take in the back/collar. That being said, it may be worth it to keep the suit & have it altered if it fits you fine everywhere else.

intfxdx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by scurvyfreedman
For future reference, it's best to measure your best fitting jacket and then buy suits/jackets based upon its measurements rather than the labeled size. I've found sizes vary considerably among manufacturers and even within one brand.

yes but the problem is everybody is measuring jacket size differently. I would buy a suit in a local store but difference in price is huge compared to prices in local stores in switzerland.

tjc4golf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by intfxdx
i bought a suit it's a polo ralph lauren, but marked as made in USA (union made in the USA), so i guess it's a outlet product.

Not an outlet product. Until the switch to Italy (Corneliani), all Polo suits were made in the USA. The quality of these suits is good. Full canvas, horn buttons, etc.

what do you think from these pictures

Fits well through the waist and chest. Shoulder look a little large. You're not going to make and SF best dressed lists but it's not bad and you could do much worse for $90.

Do you think that it worth to alter the suit from 39 to 38 ?

Absolutely not. The suit is what it is. Accept it for what it is or return it. The types of alterations you're talking about are going to double or triple the price of the suit and are very difficult so it could end up looking worse.

intfxdx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tjc4golf
Not an outlet product. Until the switch to Italy (Corneliani), all Polo suits were made in the USA. The quality of these suits is good. Full canvas, horn buttons, etc.

Fits well through the waist and chest. Shoulder look a little large. You're not going to make and SF best dressed lists but it's not bad and you could do much worse for $90.

Absolutely not. The suit is what it is. Accept it for what it is or return it. The types of alterations you're talking about are going to double or triple the price of the suit and are very difficult so it could end up looking worse.

Thanks tjc4golf, i already made an arrangement with seller, so he refunded $20 so bought it for $70.. i am going to travel to turkey in 2 weeks, i was thinking to alter it there as it does not cost expensive, and i think i can find a good tailor. But if it could make it worse, of course i keep it like that.

GBer

Reaction score
Such alterations take time, i hope you are staying long for your sake.

If you are looking for a cut-rate tailor, expect a corresponding quality result

needshoehelp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're worrying too much about the tagged size. See how it fits. This fits pretty well from the pic. I would not get it taken in. You could do a lot worse for $90, and many people have indeed done a lot worse for a lot more.

greyinla

Reaction score
As suggested, measured size matters more than tagged size--one brand's 38 might be slimmer than another's 36--and if this is a used suit, it may have already been taken in. From the pic, I'd say it's worth keeping.

intfxdx

Reaction score
Thanks for your advices, i am learning suiting in SF
smile.gif
I keep it like that, as you said for the price, it worth to keep it like that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads