• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Altering Sport Coat Length w/ pix

ProfessorShak

Reaction score
Hey all,

I had won a Brooks Brothers made in italy sport coat from eBay and today it came in. 88% wool and 12% cash, a great looking coat and it fits well except for the length. The ad clearly stated a 42R more than once but the length feels like its a 42L. The jacket just passes my fingertips. I got it for $70 and don't want to return it. Can I take it to a tailor and have him alter the length? How much would it cost? Should I contact the seller and ask for a discount? What are my options?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would sell it, but if you want to, yes a tailor can make the length shorter. With nothing else this should cost about $35. I would not cut off more than an inch.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
I would sell it, but if you want to, yes a tailor can make the length shorter. With nothing else this should cost about $35. I would not cut off more than an inch.

i just had a jacket hem shortened; ran me $60 (reputable tailor).

i wouldn't trust an UNreputable tailor to do this job, the same with altering shoulders.

free man

Reaction score
I have had jackets shortened, and I couldnt tell the difference. But I went to (perhaps) the best tailor in Boston to have it done, and it wasn't exactly cheap.

ProfessorShak

Reaction score
I figured I'd post a few pix while I'm at it. After seeing this, what should I do?

IMG_1395.jpg

IMG_1396.jpg

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ProfessorShak
I figured I'd post a few pix while I'm at it. After seeing this, what should I do?

You should look at the WAYWN thread......really...

Regards.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

More pressing than the length is that the waist of the jacket doesn't fit you, as the vent is splayed open quite significantly.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You need to return it,it's just too big for you.Shoulders seem big to me,not to mention length of the jacket.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
looks as though it could come up an inch but !!!
pin under the bottom one inch. then take a look at the pocket and bottom button.
they may or may not end up too close to the bottom. its your choice.
usually 1/2" is most recommended.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bad pix -- try again w/ dress pants & top button done

Flimsychicken

Reaction score
Not to get too off topic, but how does altering the length affect a jacket that has pick stitching down the front? I have a coat that I've wanted to get shortened about 3/4 inch I'm afraid that the stitching won't match.

Any ideas?

ProfessorShak

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stickonatree
that jacket is about 2 sizes too big for you!

Do you mean in length?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I had won a Brooks Brothers made in italy sport coat from eBay and today it came in. 88% wool and 12% cash, a great looking coat and it fits well except for the length. The ad clearly stated a 42R more than once but the length feels like its a 42L. The jacket just passes my fingertips. I got it for $70 and don't want to return it. Can I take it to a tailor and have him alter the length? How much would it cost? Should I contact the seller and ask for a discount? What are my options?

Look inside the breast pocket on the inside of jacket, it should tell you exactly what size the jacket is. Based on your picture posted, I'd say the jacket IS a 42R, just that you would ideally be in a short jacket, not a regular length jacket.

IMG_1396.jpg

Is your jacket buttoned for this picture? Notice how the vent gape open? If the jacket is buttoned, then it is too tight for you. The shoulder also does not flatter you, but I can't say for sure whether it's the shape of your shoulder that's the problem or a sizing problem. You seem like a shorter guy with a gut, and this particular physique is tough for RTW jacke to fit, and you may want to consider MTM.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads