• Welcome to the Styleforum Approved contest! This is a contest where everyone wins: in fact, every participant will get a (highly coveted) “Styleforum approved” bracelet to flaunt to your oblivious friends. The only thing you have to do is show appreciation for a member of the forum or an affiliate vendor.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Altering (Reducing) Jacket/Coast Size?

neyus

Reaction score
Can somebody suggest ways I can have the coat size altered to reduce the length across the shoulders?

I know quite easily that the Centre Seam can be taken in a little and the two rear side seams. But how do we do the shoulders? Is it a complicated and expensive alteration?

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Doctor's right. Sleeves have to come off, shoulder material removed and cut back, and sleeves re-attached. I've had it done several times by a good tailor, but I was nervous about it--at least with the first one. These were expensive jackets, so the cost ($100 or so probably for that, but other alterations added to the total) was justified. For an inexpensive jacket, I'm not sure I'd bother. Also, I would suggest making sure that you get a tailor who does MTM tailoring at least (i.e., makes suits, jackets, and trousers from scratch) to do the work.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't mess with this alteration. Not too many tailors are up to the task.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Face Masks: Pick Your Favorite (Choose 2)

• Disposable surgical mask

• White cotton mask

• Linen-lined mask

• "Sartorial" mask made of suiting fabric

• Patterned mask (checks, stripes, fun print, etc.)

• Solid color silk mask

• "Sartorial" mask made of tie fabric

• Sports mask made of synthetic fabric

• Denim mask

• Face shield

Results are only viewable after voting.