• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Altering (Reducing) Jacket/Coast Size?

neyus

Reaction score
Can somebody suggest ways I can have the coat size altered to reduce the length across the shoulders?

I know quite easily that the Centre Seam can be taken in a little and the two rear side seams. But how do we do the shoulders? Is it a complicated and expensive alteration?

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Doctor's right. Sleeves have to come off, shoulder material removed and cut back, and sleeves re-attached. I've had it done several times by a good tailor, but I was nervous about it--at least with the first one. These were expensive jackets, so the cost ($100 or so probably for that, but other alterations added to the total) was justified. For an inexpensive jacket, I'm not sure I'd bother. Also, I would suggest making sure that you get a tailor who does MTM tailoring at least (i.e., makes suits, jackets, and trousers from scratch) to do the work.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't mess with this alteration. Not too many tailors are up to the task.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.