Altering (Reducing) Jacket/Coast Size?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by neyus, Aug 17, 2006.

1. neyus

neyus Senior member

Can somebody suggest ways I can have the coat size altered to reduce the length across the shoulders?

I know quite easily that the Centre Seam can be taken in a little and the two rear side seams. But how do we do the shoulders? Is it a complicated and expensive alteration?

2. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Is it a complicated and expensive alteration?

Afraid so.

3. Roger

Roger Senior member

The Doctor's right. Sleeves have to come off, shoulder material removed and cut back, and sleeves re-attached. I've had it done several times by a good tailor, but I was nervous about it--at least with the first one. These were expensive jackets, so the cost ($100 or so probably for that, but other alterations added to the total) was justified. For an inexpensive jacket, I'm not sure I'd bother. Also, I would suggest making sure that you get a tailor who does MTM tailoring at least (i.e., makes suits, jackets, and trousers from scratch) to do the work.

4. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

I wouldn't mess with this alteration. Not too many tailors are up to the task.

5. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

You might try asking your local tailors what they might charge and ask to see some of their work. It does take to top level tailor to do this much.