Altering polo shirts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mbc, May 3, 2006.

1. mbc

mbc Senior member

How competent does a tailor have to be to alter a polo shirt, and how much should I expect to pay? I'm mostly thinking things like taking in the waist/hips, as even my slimmer fitting polos seem to flare out at the hips after a couple of washes. I doubt it's the way I'm washing them... cold/cold, flat air dry, etc.

2. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Most tailors refuse to work on knits like polos and tees. If they do, they will charge a ridiculous amount, like $10 per operation, e.g. $10 to take in the sides, another $10 to shorten the length, another $10 to shorten the sleeves. It's hopeless.

3. mbc

mbc Senior member

Reviving this thread for a related question... can polo shirts be darted in the back? And if so, would that look ridiculous? I'm not sure how darts would play with something with a straight hem.

I'm finding that even with "slim fit" polos I have the same problem I have with dress shirts, in that there's excess fabric in the waist and lower back which tends to make my midsection look rather billowy.

4. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Darts would look silly. I've had polos taken in for a small amount of money. It depends on whether they have the machines, I think.