• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Altering Leather

Nico Samuel Pleninsek

Reaction score
I just picked up a Schott western fringe jacket for $15 in a size 38; I've been searching for one for quite some time for a westernesque outfit (laugh all you want). But the problem is my chest size is 33; is it even possible to get it altered that much? So many demensions seem way off: sleeve holes, shoulders, collar size, etc. I'd be willing to spend up to $100, since I would rather not buy one new for $350.

Cheers!

Nico

Nico Samuel Pleninsek

Reaction score
Awwwh, come on; could someone just say "yes it's possible" or "no it's not possible" and then my day will be merry.
bigstar[1].gif

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
losing 5 inches in the chest of a leather jacket is major tailoring - probably more than the cost of the jacket new. how does the jacket fit you in the shoulders?

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
all that for 100 bucks? you are kidding.

Nico Samuel Pleninsek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
losing 5 inches in the chest of a leather jacket is major tailoring - probably more than the cost of the jacket new. how does the jacket fit you in the shoulders?

The shoulder area does not fit all that bad. The sleeve length is perfect. The body of the coat is just too huge.

falsestart

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Souper
I got a suede and cashmere coat taken in from the sides and back drastically, 5-6 inches, for about $110 in NYC. No shoulder alterations were done. My alterations may or may not have been more expensive because he had to recut part of the armholes to properly alter the garment.

hey souper where in nyc did you have the alteration done? thinking of doing the same

Nico Samuel Pleninsek

Reaction score
Well at least I know a little of what I'm in for when I go to the tailors; I just didn't want to come on like a complete moron.

Hopefully this cowboy-esque outfit will come out nicely
bigstar[1].gif
Life is fun!

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just had a leather jacket tapered, my tailor had to undo the sleeves to taper it as much as i liked.

She did a beautiful job, and it cost me $120, i felt it was worth it, good work is well worth the cost.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics