Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

altering leather jacket --edit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by housemaidsknee, Nov 6, 2004.

1. housemaidsknee

housemaidsknee Senior member

at work, we gifted a colleague a leather jacket. here it is: Mark New York Leather Jacket at bluefly.com now the problem is that it is too big for him - can we get it altered? it is an inch too long, two inches too big on the shoulders and four inches too big across the chest - basically he is skinny and short. can a good tailor alter it? is there any other comparable jackets under 500 dollars that we can get him? he's skinny and 5'6". basically a 36S or 38S size and slim cut. please help.

2. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

That sounds like too much alteration to be worth it. I see similar Andrew marc jackets at Nordstrom Rack every time I go there for a few hundred. I would just get a different one.

3. housemaidsknee

i thought it was not worth the trouble either. but then we couldn't find a slim cut one (all the small sizes were pretty much the same size). i actually went shopping with a tape measure. someone point me to a slimmer/smaller jacket please. thanks.

4. stache

stache Senior member

You could probably find a jacket for him in a youth/ boys dept. -

5. housemaidsknee

we thought of that - but he is a senior colleague at work. if somehow he found out, he might be offended. what to do?

6. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I don't know much about designer leather jackets, and the one you picked for him is lambskin, but you could always try Vanson Leathers or Schott NYC (look them up on the web). They make real motorcycle gear and "fashion" jackets as well, and some of them come in softer leather and many in inch chest sizes, so you'd be more likely to find one that fits. Try a search here too if you haven't already, I'm sure the subject has come up before.

7. housemaidsknee

so putting darts in a leather jacket is not an option? is it even possible?

ok - i'll give it up. someome point me to a soft leather jacket in smaller sizes.

the Schott NYC and Vanson Leathers jackets seem to be harder tougher leather. wanted something in soft leather.

8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Forget about Andrew Marc, whose sizes are notoriously... forgiving. If you are determined to go the Bluefly route, go with Lot 78, which is a pretty new brand out of Italy, and way cooler too (if the guy likes a younger style, of course. Otherwise, it won't work.) Of reasonably priced designers (especially with the Euro) go with DKNY - the have the slimmest cuts of the American diffusion lines.

9. housemaidsknee

not necessary to go the bluefly route - just more convenient. thanks for the reply LAGuy. will look into those.