• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Altering jeans?

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
Can jeans be taken in at the waist, like trousers can? How much would this cost, and it is economical to do so? I have a couple of pairs of Diesels that are too big (their sizing is all over the place.) and would love for them to fit.

Thanks,

Dan

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There seem to be two strategies for jeans:

1. Darts. As far as I know, this is easy to do. Personally, I think the results are mixed.

2. Cutting the waistband and opening the back seam to take in whatever's needed, then putting the pants back together again. The tailor has to have the right sewing machines to make this work, but it shouldn't be especially expensive.

Hope this helps.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes they can but from what i've heard it weakens the jeans because the tailors altering the construction of the jeans so they will never be as strong as they were when you bought them.

stache

Reaction score
If they can go in enough to make a new buttonhole at the waistband, that's the best way to go. It's a more expensive alteration but if you start messing around with the waistband in the back it usually dips down and looks bad, imo.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Sneakers with tailoring: yes, no, maybe?

• No, never.

• Yes, it can be done tastefully.

• Not sure.

Results are only viewable after voting.