1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Altering jeans?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ruerivoli, Nov 15, 2004.

1. ruerivoli

ruerivoli New Member

A quick question from a newbie, so I apologize if this is on the obvious side. I just received a various nice pair of designer jeans as a gift. I really like the style, and the width is perfect, but the jeans are about 2 inches two long. Can I have my tailor shorten the jeans without destroying the look?

2. ROT

ROT Senior Member

I've had good luck. Just tell him that you want the hem to look exactly as it does now.

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I used to be a stickler for keeping the original hem using a webstitching like the Denim Doctors do, but the truth is that you can just ask for any old hem, and just ask the tailor to press only the legs, but to heavily press the hem. It'll duplicate the effect of the original hem.

4. Drinkwaters

Drinkwaters OG Affiliate Vendor

My tailor removes the original hem which has a washed, puckered look and reattaches it so that you don't loose the original look. Your tailor should be able to do it.

5. demeis

demeis Distinguished Member

I always just ask my tailor to use the original hem. It looks better then having that "hemmed look" jeans get if you don't use the original hem. You can't really tell the difference if they use the original hem unless you are really close up. I will have to try LA Guy's method though sounds like it might be better but does it still keep that Washed look that the hem on jeans usually have when you buy them?

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Hey Gary,

Who in Cambridge does this? Do they charge an arm and a leg?

7. Drinkwaters

Drinkwaters OG Affiliate Vendor

Jack's Tailor Shop, 1937 Massachusetts Avenue, (Porter Square) Cambridge, MA. I believe he charges around ten bucks.