• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Altering jeans?

P3R3

Reaction score
Has anyone here ever had jeans altered? I have a pair of RRL that need 3" off the waist to fit me, not sure if alterations are worth it.

Ahaz

Reaction score
Are we talking about lowering the rise, or making the waistband smaller? I've had about an inch taken off the waistband successfully. You would never know the work had been done. Three inches seems like a lot, though, and might **** with the geometry of jeans elsewhere.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Three inches'll bring the back pockets really close together. Unless they could do 1.5" on either side.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by P3R3
Has anyone here ever had jeans altered? I have a pair of RRL that need 3" off the waist to fit me, not sure if alterations are worth it.

i though about doing this, but ended up just flipping the jeans. the 36 x 34 rrl $185 slimfit bootcut is basically perfect everywhere (including the seat), except at the waist. I thought about trying to have the waist taken in but decided it just wasn't worth the hassle.

my thinking was to take off the back belt loop, slice the waistband in the back, undo the stitches stitching down the middle cross seam on jeans (i don't know the term for this, but four seams come into a cross right above the pockets, at the location of where your tailbone is located), and then take 2 to 3 inches out and sew back up.

the result theoretically would have kept the pockets in the same place, with the waist much slimmer.

as it is, i'm going to try to snag a 34 x 34 and hope that it's not too thin in the seat.....

phooi

Reaction score
Get rid of them and buy another pair that fits around the waist. Altering the waist of any pair of pants by that many inches will pull the back pockets too close together... Think about it.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phooi
Get rid of them and buy another pair that fits around the waist. Altering the waist of any pair of pants by that many inches will pull the back pockets too close together... Think about it.

In my case, the alterations wouldn't have pulled the back pockets to close together, since the starting point for where the material starts getting taken in would have been higher than the pocket location...

phooi

Reaction score
Hey, if you think you could do it without altering the shape of the jeans, then go for it. Just make sure you'll be ok if the work isn't exactly the way you imagined b/c 3" is a lot of material to cut out without affecting the original shape. Good luck.

Brandon Abell

Reaction score
You might be able to remove the waistband and hide a dart in each of the side seams (and replace a shortened waistband) to bring in the waist a bit without throwing off the proportions too much. But I think it'd be *much* smarter to take the advice given by others and sell/trade the jeans for ones that fit right already. Jeans proportions are something everyone is familiar with so any change will be apparent, even if the tailor is quite good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads