• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Altering jacket too small

The Happy Stroller

Reaction score
I bought a blue candy stripe seersucker jacket from an eBay seller whose stated policy for international purchasers is no refund/no return.

Unfortunately, the jacket was 2 inches less than the stated chest size.

Any suggestions for remedial alterations?

The Happy Stroller

Reaction score
Thanks for the returning goods suggestion, DocHoldiday, but I'll leave it to Fate and just consider it a lesson learnt
musicboohoo[1].gif

But I've just thought of a solution to my woes. Perhaps some one might care to offer some constructive criticisms.

My idea is to introduce a 3 inch wide self-facing strip between the central back seam of the jacket. The collar will have to be detached first, of course.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Wouldn't the chest still be much too small?

ezboy1000

Reaction score
If you liked it enough to purchase the jacket, presumably someone else might do the same. Even if you lose a few bucks from what you paid, it's better than having a jacket that doesn't fit sitting in your closet that you'll never wear.

Take some pictures, post them here. If that fails, off to ebay. Recycle and repackage.

ameza21

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Happy Stroller
Thanks for the returning goods suggestion, DocHoldiday, but I'll leave it to Fate and just consider it a lesson learnt
musicboohoo[1].gif

But I've just thought of a solution to my woes. Perhaps some one might care to offer some constructive criticisms.

My idea is to introduce a 3 inch wide self-facing strip between the central back seam of the jacket. The collar will have to be detached first, of course.

This won't necessarily work. It largely depends on your build (no pun intended). First off, DOES the collar fit? When you put the jacket on with a collared shirt, does the jacket collar lay flush against the shirt collar or is there a space in between the shirt and the jacket? Is the top of the jacket collar roughly ¼ inch to ½ inch lower than the shirt collar? If so, it fits. Secondly, is the jacket pulling at the center seam, side seams, or button in front (or at several locations).

Bottom line, at best this is not a recommended operation. At worst, it will not work and may in fact make the fit even worse.

If you want a good fit, you need to start from a different jacket. The point-to-point (shoulders) will be different, the armhole size will be different, and the darts (if any) will be different.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recutting a jacket from a larger one is possible with a good tailor, if usually prohibitively expensive. Recutting a smaller jacket to go larger is almost always impossible, save for small adjustments. You should just flip it back on eBay if you can't get the seller to refund you.

The Happy Stroller

Reaction score
Seems you were quite right after all. The adjustments required were not that small. Thanks for the resales suggestion also, Arethusa.

Originally Posted by Arethusa
Recutting a jacket from a larger one is possible with a good tailor, if usually prohibitively expensive. Recutting a smaller jacket to go larger is almost always impossible, save for small adjustments. You should just flip it back on eBay if you can't get the seller to refund you.

The Happy Stroller

Reaction score
Actually, I didn't mind imperfect fit for jackets made from the kind of material, as the original purpose was to use it for leisurely outdoor strolls. However, after rechecking the dimensions, it seems too much alteration will have to be carried out. It still looks nice, though. And thanks for considering the various angles, ameza21.

Originally Posted by ameza21
This won't necessarily work. It largely depends on your build (no pun intended). First off, DOES the collar fit? When you put the jacket on with a collared shirt, does the jacket collar lay flush against the shirt collar or is there a space in between the shirt and the jacket? Is the top of the jacket collar roughly ¼ inch to ½ inch lower than the shirt collar? If so, it fits. Secondly, is the jacket pulling at the center seam, side seams, or button in front (or at several locations).

Bottom line, at best this is not a recommended operation. At worst, it will not work and may in fact make the fit even worse.

If you want a good fit, you need to start from a different jacket. The point-to-point (shoulders) will be different, the armhole size will be different, and the darts (if any) will be different.

The Happy Stroller

Reaction score
You hit it on the nail, i.

When I remeasured the jacket, I realized the back and sides fitted me quite well. It was actually the front that proved to be too small, about 8 or 9 inches! That's the most difficult part to alter.

Originally Posted by j
Wouldn't the chest still be much too small?

The Happy Stroller

Reaction score
Good suggestion, ezboy1000. I'll be holding on to it for a while to provide my tailor a model to copy from when I've managed to find suitable 100% natural fabric blue/white candy stripes SS.

Originally Posted by ezboy1000
If you liked it enough to purchase the jacket, presumably someone else might do the same. Even if you lose a few bucks from what you paid, it's better than having a jacket that doesn't fit sitting in your closet that you'll never wear.

Take some pictures, post them here. If that fails, off to ebay. Recycle and repackage.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads