1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Altering Brooks Brothers Non-Iron Shirts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GucciKid, May 7, 2010.

1. thinksyncopated

thinksyncopated Well-Known Member

I just purchased a few slim shirts and have the same questions: I feel like slimming the waist/chest area won't really affect the quality of the seams, but the sleeves are held together by their "glue": has anyone that has altered the sleeves noticed puckering after a few washes/uses?

2. garymyman

garymyman Senior member

I also got the "demo shirt" treatment at BB in New Orleans. Terrible way to sell shirts. Or anything for that matter. I ordered online.

3. matt22616

matt22616 Senior member

I also got the "demo shirt" treatment at BB in New Orleans. Terrible way to sell shirts. Or anything for that matter. I ordered online.

Was your sales associate a rather hefty gentleman? I was kinda pissed, couldn't tell shit about how an actual shirt fit.

4. matt22616

matt22616 Senior member

I just purchased a few slim shirts and have the same questions: I feel like slimming the waist/chest area won't really affect the quality of the seams, but the sleeves are held together by their "glue": has anyone that has altered the sleeves noticed puckering after a few washes/uses?

All my BB shirts have been slimmed from the tails through the sleeves all the way to the cuffs and they are fine.

5. Smartalox

Smartalox Senior member

I've had mine altered too. No problems here.

6. mdp0430

mdp0430 Senior member

So only a couple people have had issues with the side seam alterations on the Non-Iron shirts?

I ask because I have a ton of the traditional fit non-iron shirts that are a little blousy and was hoping to have the taken in a bit. I buy the slim fit shirts now...

7. mdp0430

mdp0430 Senior member

Also, why does the problem only appear when altering the side seams and not when altering the sleeve length?

Thanks!

8. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

Also, why does the problem only appear when altering the side seams and not when altering the sleeve length?

Thanks!

that seam is not glued together

9. SOBET

SOBET New Member

Trust me, it is not a good idea.

10. Rene_Lahm

Rene_Lahm Senior member

I'm actually really glad that I stumbled upon this thread. I still have yet to visit the Toronto BB, and intended on purchasing a simple, plain white dress shirt. Though, it's a pain to have to take the subway down. It also doesn't help that I work near mid-town/North Toronto and live in York Region. I think you guys just saved me a hassle, and waste of time, because I figured I'd have at least been able to try some stuff on.

It's a shame they haven't put one in Yorkdale yet, since they've just added 12 more stores coming in the near future, and none of them really interest me. On another note, anyone been to the Flatiron shop near bloor/spadina?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  11. ds11

ds11 Active Member

Is there any consensus on this issue? I have several non iron traditional fit shirts that need altering.

Has anyone done so and actually had the puckering issue themselves?

12. ds11

ds11 Active Member

From BB:

"Our non-iron shirts should not be altered as the chemical process used in the manufacturing of the shirt will be compromised. They may very well pucker after machine washing if they are altered and they should never be dry cleaned, professionally laundered or pressed."

Thoughts anyone??