• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Altering bespoke

HalfCanvas

Reaction score
For those who have bespoke tailored clothing, have you ever sent finished pieces back for alterations, and if so what has been the result? The alterations could have been for style reasons or to accomodate a change in your body.

I ask this because I have a bespoke suit that I was thinking about altering (and by "thinking" I really do mean "thinking"; I am perfectly happy to not put it under the knife). Namely, I would (1) nip the waist a touch, (2) reduce the coat length by 1/3", (3) remove the shallow double reverse pleats on the pants, and (4) narrow the leg a touch from the thigh down.

If this sounds unadviseable, by all means say that I'm an idiot. With the exception of the first alteration, which would be a result of a slight body change, the other three are just totally stylistic.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it depends on what needs to be "fixed" or adjusted, and your own personal level of tolerance for "imperfections." I've taken a garment back that had a sleeve pitch problem and a bit too much pulling around the waist. Other garments, where the adjustments are fairly minor (e.g. extending sleeve length by 3/8") I've not really bothered with (yet!), because the slight difference in sleeve length was something I could live with.

E TF

Reaction score
I had a bespoke suit that I'd never quite been happy with, until I finally figured out what was wrong - too much room in the sleeves (I should have just posted a pic here, would have been told within minutes!). I had about 3/4" taken out of the sleeves recently and though it doesn't sound like a major change, it has made the whole thing so much better. Mainly, I suppose, because I'm now happy with it. So I say go for it!

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It is not uncommon to want adjustments after you have lived with the suit a while and familiarized yourself with the garment. Stylistic changes are a different matter and would depend on who chose the styling details, you or the tailor.

May I suggest having a second plain front trouser made up. You would have pleated and plain front. you may grow to appreciate the pleats. Several of my clients who originally preferred plain front have moved on to pleated trousers due to the elegant aesthetic and comfort. Your present tastes may change before you ever wear the suit out.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The first byes, the others are probably best left as they are not significant (coat length) or important (leg width). The change to the pleats would count and is not to be recommended - Depos, as ever, offers the best advice in this regard.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've done it, for both growth and stylistic reasons. If its purely stylistsic, I'd advise to leave it, and go with your gut. For fit, of course alter it. It won't be EXACTLY like you may have wanted it when you first had it made, but it will improve the fit. Good luck. You can see in my sales thread a jacket (the seersucker) that just can't be altered anymore...it fit me MUCH better when it was made, but I was a skinny malink then, 15 pounds of muscle changed the fit drastically on me to the point where I'm no longer comfortable in it, despite my wife telling me that "I'm the only one who doesn't think it fits." But she's not met you clowns, so...

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
I've done it, for both growth and stylistic reasons. If its purely stylistsic, I'd advise to leave it, and go with your gut. For fit, of course alter it. It won't be EXACTLY like you may have wanted it when you first had it made, but it will improve the fit. Good luck. You can see in my sales thread a jacket (the seersucker) that just can't be altered anymore...it fit me MUCH better when it was made, but I was a skinny malink then, 15 pounds of muscle changed the fit drastically on me to the point where I'm no longer comfortable in it, despite my wife telling me that "I'm the only one who doesn't think it fits." But she's not met you clowns, so...

You are not

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
you say "send the pieces back". does that mean overseas, as in to honkong?

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
May I suggest having a second plain front trouser made up. You would have pleated and plain front. you may grow to appreciate the pleats. Several of my clients who originally preferred plain front have moved on to pleated trousers due to the elegant aesthetic and comfort. Your present tastes may change before you ever wear the suit out.

FWIW: this is what I typically get.

connor09

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Of course alteration is part of the bespoke tailoring process, I had mine altered a few times but nothing as severe as what you're suggesting.

Teckalter

Reaction score
My dress alterations should be done by Alterations Boutique based in London. Finest Bespoke Couture Dressmaking & Alterations service.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads