• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Altering BB Non-Iron Shirts

anli

Reaction score
Hey guys, quick question. I'm building a new post-college wardrobe and got a few shirts at Brooks Brothers. Unfortunately, even the slim fit shirts are a bit baggy on me (a problem noted in many other threads). I want to take them to a tailor to get them adjusted, but I've heard that this can sometimes cause the shirts to pucker after washing, because the tailor doesn't have the non-iron coating on his thread. Has anyone had this problem?

Alternatively, I suppose I could look around for slimmer shirts, but the only ones I've found that even come close to fitting OTR are the Express slim-fit. But the quality on those isn't very good, and I do rather want the non-iron. Time and budget preclude custom-fitting or the pricier European lables

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a second concern you should be aware of is that, once coated, the material is very hard to work with. if you do go to a tailor, make sure they can handle the job.

jasonsun

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nmprisons
a second concern you should be aware of is that, once coated, the material is very hard to work with. if you do go to a tailor, make sure they can handle the job.

I was told once the shirt is recut, the tailor won't have the "glue" to seal the side seam...... i'm guessing the glue is a proprietary mixture BB use, but not sure.....that's what the SA told me when i asked him whether they can alter my GF shirt to make it slim.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
dont know where all these weird ideas com from. but you alter no irons the same as the regulars.
if the altered seam puckers its because the the tailor was pushing the cloth into the machine. or the machine tension was adjusted too tight.

adambparker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have heard the same thing from BB SAs, i.e. that the non-iron shirts should not be altered. How odd.

anli

Reaction score
Well... I guess we'll find out. I took three shirts to a very good tailor in my area and will report back after a washing. At $30 a pop for the alterations, it's not cheap; but considering the shirts are on sale, it's not too much of a gamble either. And if it works out, $55+30 = $85 would be a great price for true non-iron, fitted shirts.

saint_theo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by anli

Alternatively, I suppose I could look around for slimmer shirts, but the only ones I've found that even come close to fitting OTR are the Express slim-fit. But the quality on those isn't very good, and I do rather want the non-iron. Time and budget preclude custom-fitting or the pricier European lables

If you're looking for non-irons that are slimmer than Brooks, have you considered Charles Tyrwhitt? Off the rack they seem a bit slimmer than the Brooks slim-fits, and many times you can find them on sale for about $50/shirt.

Although the CT non-irons are "slim", I still get the sleeves and the sides slimmed down, and I've never had an issue with puckering, even having thrown them in the dryer occasionally.

anli

Reaction score
Thanks for the introduction to CT! They look great--I just bookmarked them. Unfortunately, they don't seem to carry 14.5/32 -- my size -- so I can't order anything as yet. Sigh, someday my size will be more common... I hope!

saint_theo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by anli
Thanks for the introduction to CT! They look great--I just bookmarked them. Unfortunately, they don't seem to carry 14.5/32 -- my size -- so I can't order anything as yet. Sigh, someday my size will be more common... I hope!

Actually, for $10/shirt, CT will shorten the sleeves. When you are viewing a shirt, look to the "Customise Your Selection" box just below the green "Add to Basket" button. I've never had this done myself, so I can't speak to the results, but it might be worth trying out.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

• Lego x Levi's