1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Altering a pair of cotton pants

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by solzhenitsyn, Apr 22, 2005.

1. solzhenitsyn

solzhenitsyn Well-Known Member

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws....IT&rd=1 A reasonable deal on a pair of BR grey cotton pants that I would plan to wear fairly casually. I'm new to altering any kind of clothing and was wondering if anyone would see a problem with altering the waist from a 30 to a 31 if necessary? Or would you have to see the pants to know how much you could let them out?

2. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I've seen a lot of BR pants, and chances are these are not meant to be altered like a pair of suit trousers. However, their sizing is sort of arbitrary, so you may be fine anyway. I have a pair of 31L pants from there that fit fine, and I usually wear a 32 or 33.

But to answer your main question, you will probably have to see the inside to know whether they can be altered.

Welcome to the forum.

3. solzhenitsyn

Thank you for the welcome and the info, j. I will confirm the sizing, and probably opt for not purchasing them if they turn out to be a true 30.

4. guitone

guitone Well-Known Member

Altering cottons is always a problem if you are letting them out as there will always be the possibility of holes or creases that will not be invisible as they will with wool.

5. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

More than a possibility; it's a certainty. Assuming those trousers have inlays in the seat (and I wouldn't bet on it), if they are let out, the crease that's pressed into the two sides of the seat now to make the rear smooth will always show as a fairly distinct stripe after the trousers are let out. It's one of the drawbacks of cotton.

6. jamesbond

jamesbond Distinguished Member

how about bringing in linen pants on the seat? worse then cotton?

7. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Bringing in is not a problem, because the offending seam crease gets "tucked" inside the trouser seat with the rest of the inlays, where it cannot be seen. Letting out is the problem.

In terms of showing old creases, cotton is worse than linen, but not by much.

8. Lindsay

Lindsay Senior Member

I wouldn't go there. Unless the pants are BRAND NEW, and have never been laundered, you WILL see fading.

9. solzhenitsyn

Thanks for the help everyone. I'll leave the altering to wool slacks.