1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Altering a cashmere sweater?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by phatonycmu, Apr 3, 2012.

1. phatonycmu

phatonycmu Member

Folks,
    My fiancé was kind enough to get me a cashmere sweater from JCrew for a Christmas gift. Since then I've ended up losing 20 pounds and now it fits more like a bathrobe (there are worse problems out there I guess!). Is it possible to alter a sweater? Can any normal alterations tailor handle it?

The length isn't an issue, mostly the waist. I've included a picture of the pattern if it helps.

[​IMG]

2. Magnicusser

Magnicusser Member

This question is very interesting and I really want to know if it's possible to alter a swearter... Have you already decided to alter the sweater you showed?

3. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

It is a relatively simple process to bring the sweater in at the sides, though I still wouldn't trust this to an alterations seamstress. A re-weaver or proper tailor is a better bet. However, much more than that and you're likely looking at a headache. It further complicates the process that this a cable-knit. It will require some doing to get things to match up. I wouldn't recommend it if the sweater has any patterns/designs.

Obviously there is some sentimentality involved here, and I don't mean to be rude, but for the price of a J. Crew sweater you might as well just get a new one.

EDIT: Is it my monitor or is the sweater stained to Hell? :confused:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  4. phatonycmu

phatonycmu Member

Really weird... I just noticed that as well. I think that may have been poor lighting on one section of the sweater as I have never noticed it in the mirror. (and yes, there is some sentiment involved here :))

5. IndianBoyz

IndianBoyz Senior member

I'd get a new sweater, but hey that's just me..