• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Altering a black suit to a tuxedo

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
It is possible (but expensive; at leat a couple hundred bucks) to have the lapels refaced. And covering the buttons is easy enough. But what about the other details? Are there notched lapels? Flapped pockets? A center vent? If so, it will not look entirely right.

The trousers should be easy to convert, by the way.

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the Attolini look I'd like to achieve. Â This Attolini tux has 3-button, notched lapel, ventless, flat front pants. Â My black suit has simliar details but has flapped hip pockets that can be tucked in (don't know the term for it). Â What other details should I be looking at?
attolinitux.jpg

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Oh, dear. So many rules trampled upon.

Well, it's a look, of sorts. But it is not a classic dinner jacket. And that four in hand tie: fine for business, incorrect for black tie.

By the way, that does not look like a 3-button jacket, more like a one button. In any case, a 3-button dinner jacket is seriously not right.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Not on the breast pocket, but you covered them all. I have seen self-welt on the hip pockets as well.

I wonder how hard it would be to convert a notch lapel into a peak lapel. If you are refacing it anyway, you may as well do away with the most blatant rules violation.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
It is a 3-button Attolini jacket..  
Funny, I cannot see the other two buttonholes or buttons in the photo. It really, really looks like a one-button jacket. Which would make it slightly more in keeping with black tie traditions, but the notch lapels are a serious discrepancy.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
What is the correct tie knot for black tie, assuming that bow tie is a no go for me?
Only a black bow tie is correct for black tie.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can see the other two buttons. They're very faint in the picture, but they're there.

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why the pref. for satin. I think grosgrain is much more refined. I recently saw a (black mattish silk) Baldessarini with a very tight texture grosgrain that looked pretty amazing.

If you find a source for facings, please post them. I can only seem to find the satin ones. The grosgrain is a little harder to come by.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I prefer grosgrain too, but either is correct.

Brian SD

Reaction score
What rules are trampeled upon?

Notch Lapel,
3 buttons

that's all I can see there. I'm asking because I want to know. I know nothing about formal wear.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Pocket piping not made with same material as lapel facings; turn-down collar shirt; four-in-hand tie.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Pocket piping not made with same material as lapel facings; turn-down collar shirt; four-in-hand tie.
Ahh, didnt notice the pockets. Not to worried about the collar and tie myself, thats the fault of the eBay seller, not Attolini.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics