1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Alterations

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rayk, Jan 25, 2004.

1. rayk

rayk Senior member

Many of the NWT sports jackets that I have found on ebay and would have considered buying, had sleeve lengths that were as much as 1" - 1.5" too long for my 25" long arms.

Does a tailor shorten a jacket sleeve from the cuff end, or rip it down and shorten it from the shoulder?  It would seem that the former would be limited to very minor alterations due to proper positioning of sleeve buttons, whereas the latter would seem to be a much more technically involved and costly procedure, if it is done at all.

What is the maximum a RTW jacket sleeve can be shortened without adversely affecting its appearance?

2. Carlo

Carlo Senior member

Ray - it is tricky when you have working buttonholes but otherwise figure it is a $10 job by the chick who does alterations at your cleaners. This is really easy - takes me about 15 minutes to do it handsewn at the cuff, obviously more for working buttonholes.

You'd never attempt it from the shoulder.

3. naturlaut

naturlaut Senior member

If you are buying a ready-made jackets, chances are those are faux buttonholes.  They are merely sewn on (but not sewn through the fabric), and your tailor (or your wife if she's not too busy) will be able to take them off easily.  Shortening from the cuffs are of course the easiest.  Sleeve buttons can then be placed again, aboujt 1 1/2" from the cuff's edge.  

And since you are making alterations on your cuffs, have the tailor alter the circumference of the cuffs too.  Most ready-made have cuffs that are too wide.  If you are used to wearing French cuff shirts, wear it to the tailor for a better adjustment.

Make sure the finishing cuffs are parrallel to your shirt cuffs.  You don't want to show more shirt cuffs on the inside wrist and less on the outside.

4. Pierrepont

Pierrepont Member

I've always wondered about this.  How wide are suit jacket cuffs supposed to be? Is it easy for a tailor to change the circumference?