Alterations tailors near/in London?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by stylish, May 19, 2007.

1. andas

andas Well-Known Member

andas- you need chris ruocco, a fully bespoke tailor in kentish town (google). hes a great guy and highly skilled. happy to do alterations.
    for other alterations generally i recommend mike mandalia in south molton street, his shop is in a passageway just next to browns.
    google either, you can ring them. both have done great work for me.

Thanks,

What could I expect in terms of price with these guys? Just a basic shortening of sleeves and pants

2. Dan e gee

Dan e gee Senior member

If anyone is looking for a good place for alterations in the central London area, I can recommend one; they are called London Fashion Workrooms, and the are based in Covent Garden: No 26 Parker Street WC2B 5PH.
    Amongst others, they have contracts with Paul Smith, Nicloe Farhi, Gieves and Hawkes, Crombie and Loro Piana. On that basis I entrusted them with my items; I was not disappointed.
    I took two sports jackets to be altered. Both had the centre back taken in(£26), side seams in and drape(£29) and the shoulders narrowed(£45) : £100 each. The work was superb, unnoticeable.

3. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

If anyone is looking for a good place for alterations in the central London area, I can recommend one; they are called London Fashion Workrooms, and the are based in Covent Garden: No 26 Parker Street WC2B 5PH.
    Amongst others, they have contracts with Paul Smith, Nicloe Farhi, Gieves and Hawkes, Crombie and Loro Piana. On that basis I entrusted them with my items; I was not disappointed.
    I took two sports jackets to be altered. Both had the centre back taken in(£26), side seams in and drape(£29) and the shoulders narrowed(£45) : £100 each. The work was superb, unnoticeable.

Was this recent? I thought the place had closed down.

4. Kentishman

Kentishman Senior member

Was this recent? I thought the place had closed down.
    I hope not – I'm picking a jacket up from them tomorrow! I go there all the time and have always found them exemplary. EDIT: They only take cash though, that's the drawback.

5. Kentishman

Kentishman Senior member

I have quite a lot of experience of using London Fashion Workrooms - most London-based RTW stores send their customer alterations here, but now I go to them direct. They've been able to do, well, everything I've ever thrown at them; narrowing shoulders, shortening sleeves from the top, making fucntional cuff bottons etc. They get quite bust around the time of London Fashion Week as they are apparently resposnible for most of the labels' alterations over a very short time span.

From page 1 of this thread...

6. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Member

I hope not - I'm picking a jacket up from them tomorrow!

I go there all the time and have always found them exemplary.

EDIT: They only take cash though, that's the drawback.

Hi Kentishman. I'm thinking of using these guys to take in a few jackets. What turnaround times have you experienced?

7. Kentishman

Kentishman Senior member

My jacket went in on Friday, Bank Holiday yesterday and picking up tomorrow after alterations – so it's usually about 3 days I find, and I always tell them I'm never in a rush.

8. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

how about near London bridge (and open on saturday, at least morning).

9. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

how about near London bridge (and open on saturday, at least morning).

nobody?

10. bbhewee

bbhewee Senior member

You're going to have trouble finding someone reputable open on Saturdays... However I can recommend mybeautifultailor in Mayfair. I know they do a lot of work for DSM among others.

11. rossyl

rossyl Senior member

London Fashion Workrooms appear to be open on saturdays according to their website. I shall be trying them on a suit this weekend (remove trouser loops replace with trouser fastners, shorten suit jacket sleeves).

I have been to Thomas Tailor the work was excellent, but it was expensive. I cannot remember now how much (was a year ago).

12. Flea Spray

Flea Spray Active Member

I've recently been given a couple of old suits that are too big for me. I wasn't sure whether to take them to a proper tailor or let the dry cleaners alter them, but whenever I've seen alterations done by dry cleaners before, their methods seem a bit of a bodge so I suppose I should use a real tailor?

They're woolen suits. Nothing particularly special, but I like them and they have sentimental value so I don't want them to be butchered or risk a cowboy ruining them.

Anyway, searching the web led me to read about Mr Thomas in Soho, but this thread has also given me the London Fashion Workrooms to consider.

Given that I know nothing about tailoring and alterations, what do I need to do/know before going to the LFW? It sounds like they're not the kind of place that's going to take measurements of me and stick pins in the suit to get the sizes right (whereas a proper tailor like Mr Thomas presumably would), so how do I know what to specifically tell them to do to the suits?

The main problem is the trousers are too long. The legs need shortening, but the crotch is also hanging down between my thighs! Do both of these problems mean the legs also need re-tapering? Oh, and that exposed elastic band on the inside of the trouser waist has perished with age/heat, so it needs replacing too. What do you call those?

The jackets are OK, but could be better. They're a little long, as are the sleeves, and the waists would ideally be a bit narrower. The shoulders would ideally be slightly narrower too, but they're not so bad that I look like a Teddy Boy.

Also, does the LFW alter shirts? I was given a few that are also too big. The bodies are a bit loose but not terrible, however the sleeves are way too long. When I wear a jacket, the entire cuff ends up extending out all the time, and if I use cufflinks instead of buttons it's worse!

Any idea of cost?

13. lovelux2010

lovelux2010 Senior member

i went to thomas tailor a few weeks ago..
    unfortunately he is quite ill, and has been having to go to the hospital frequently. there is another chap there who can do alterations, but the person that is spoken highly on these forums has not been there when i dropped off and collected items..

14. brokentelephone

brokentelephone Senior member

i went to thomas tailor a few weeks ago..
    unfortunately he is quite ill, and has been having to go to the hospital frequently. there is another chap there who can do alterations, but the person that is spoken highly on these forums has not been there when i dropped off and collected items..

Thats my man Yussuf! He's pretty damn skilled as well -- I'd never been to Thomas but I though Yussuf did a great job on my suits. He's very sweet (not that such things matter), and definitely cares about his work.

15. eobet

eobet Member

Has anyone tried this guy? (Found via Googling for the same question, and they were mentioned on one other site.) http://thatstheshop.com/lukesbespoketailors.htm EDIT: Also, that London Fashion Workroom thing... their website isn't working and Google street view has a big "to let" sign at their address...