1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Alterations tailor in Vienna, Austria?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by tractorcasual, Aug 27, 2009.

1. tractorcasual

tractorcasual Member

Can anyone recommend a good alterations tailor in Vienna, Austria? I have just bought a very nice Sartoria Napoli suit from eBay that needs to be taken in around the waist of the jacket. Given the nature of the work I'm not sure my usual tailor is the best man for the job. He's great at altering trouser legs and trimming blousy shirts, but altering a Neopolitan suit jacket may be too big a challenge.

A helpful poster at the German-language www.styleandtheman.eu forum recommended Kaider in Bäckerstraße, who I know very little about. Before I go there I just wanted to see if any Wieners on the board had any other suggestions. Thanks.

2. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

.........if any Wieners on the board

In English Wieners are sausages, not the inhabitants of Vienna.

A bit like Kennedy, when he said: "Ich bin ein Berliner" (in German, a Berliner is a doughnut).

3. tractorcasual

tractorcasual Member

In English Wieners are sausages, not the inhabitants of Vienna.

Yes. Also penises.

A bit like Kennedy, when he said: "Ich bin ein Berliner" (in German, a Berliner is a doughnut).

A nice story, sadly untrue: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ich_bin...t_urban_legend.

4. risto

risto Member

Jungmann & Neffe at Albertinaplatz 3. Tailor in on Thursday and Saturday afternoons.

5. tractorcasual

tractorcasual Member

Jungmann & Neffe at Albertinaplatz 3. Tailor in on Thursday and Saturday afternoons.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've actually had two suits made bespoke by Mr. Zahradnik, the Slovakian tailor at Jungmann and Neffe. I didn't think he would do alterations of a suit he did not make himself, I'll phone and ask.

6. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

Oh well, what about: "Ich bin ein Pariser!"? - (I am a condom)

7. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

http://www.lambert-hofer.at

just got this recommendation from an old viennese friend. omar sharif shouldn't be wrong. rj knows that.

8. tractorcasual

tractorcasual Member

Thanks for the suggestion Fritzl.

In the end I took the suit to Schneider Maurer on Kärntner Strasse 5/7. as they were recommended to me separately by Jungmann & Neffe and Knize. The tailor at Jungmann and Neffe is too busy to do alterations to anything that he did not make himself, which is fair enough. Amazingly, the staff at Knize recommended that I use Maurer over their own tailor, as Maurer is half the price for the same quailty of work. My first impressions when I dropped the suit off were very positive. I will pick the suit up on Friday, let's see how the finished product looks.

9. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

http://www.lambert-hofer.at

just got this recommendation from an old viennese friend. omar sharif shouldn't be wrong. rj knows that.

Naja, aber es war fuer Filme-Kostuemen... for The Night of the Generals, where the Nazi costume they supplied Omar almost got him lynched when he went out for a coffee, and for Mayerling...

10. tractorcasual

tractorcasual Member

Schneider und Maurer at Kärntner Strasse 5/7 did a great job for EUR 86,00. I am happy with the result and will use them again. This is the first time I have had a RTW suit adjusted and I was concerned that bringing in the waist so much would ruin the nice Neopolitan lines - however I shouldn't have worried, it looks great. Of course, one or two details of the fit are not quite perfect - but considering that altogether this cost me a third of the price of bespoke I am very pleased. For the price they reduced the jacket waist, fixed the hang of a sleeve, let out and cuffed the trousers and reattached the collar after taking some cloth out of the upper back of the jacket.

Schneider und Maurer seem to be a very professional setup. English is not spoken. Prices are about the same as those of the regular Änderungsschneider found all across Vienna.

11. mikevienna

mikevienna Active Member

Thanks for the post, will have to check them out sometime.

12. Sebastian_Flyte

Sebastian_Flyte Senior member

and reattached the collar after taking some cloth out of the upper back of the jacket.

always the sign of a 1st-rate tailor. That's a big pain in the ass alteration.

13. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

Any updates for local tailors?