• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALTERATIONS Tailor in SAN FRANCISCO

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh yes, when asked they told me they do not make their shirts in-house.
Well not that I expected it at this price point or maybe I misunderstood but I was told before that they do actual bespoke shirts... anyway going in circles.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seven or 8 years ago one of the then SF stalwarts, a young, short, NY-based
asian-american attorney whose name escapes me, had shirts made by Anna Matuozzo to
go with his Rubinacci wardrobe. As I recall, there was plenty of schaudenfreud to go around
when he revealed that some of the hand sewn seams on his precious shirts were unraveling
after a few months.

I finally remembered. The member was The Foo.

Last edited:

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wondering if you may have any insight into this: yesterday I took a suit jacket to Tailor's Keep for a fairly complex alteration, (credit is certainly due to your great SF article on major deconstruction/reconstruction they did for your suits) and they mentioned to me they do not think Andreas Georges does full bespoke suits, although my impression is that Georges promotes this service? Do they take measurements and then send out for MTM from another maker?
I can’t answer with any certainty because I’ve never asked Andreas about it. However I can say that TK offers both bespoke and MTM, although I’ve only personally used their bespoke service, and only for trousers.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dropped off some alterations at Andreas today and they confirmed that they send the measurements off to get the garments cut and they then take it form there.

They quoted me around $1,400-$1,500 for "bespoke" sports jacket. What does tailors keep charge?

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dropped off some alterations at Andreas today and they confirmed that they send the measurements off to get the garments cut and they then take it form there.

They quoted me around $1,400-$1,500 for "bespoke" sports jacket. What does tailors keep charge?
Huh, didn't realize they don't even cut their own pattern in-house.

I think bespoke trousers from Tailor's Keep I think are at least $600. I would suspect that a sport coat would be around 3x that. Then fabric choice and details like full/partial lining, internal pockets, etc will affect pricing.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Huh, didn't realize they don't even cut their own pattern in-house.

I think bespoke trousers from Tailor's Keep I think are at least $600. I would suspect that a sport coat would be around 3x that. Then fabric choice and details like full/partial lining, internal pockets, etc will affect pricing.
thanks, in regards to andreas g. so far all alterations have been great. his shirts were pretty decent but $100 extra got me a beautiful vanacore shirt. they got me a trial shirt etc. will stick with that for now. won't be getting anything made from andreas seems like there is better bang for your buck elsewhere. if his sports jacket were sub $1000 I would give it a try.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks, in regards to andreas g. so far all alterations have been great. his shirts were pretty decent but $100 extra got me a beautiful vanacore shirt. they got me a trial shirt etc. will stick with that for now. won't be getting anything made from andreas seems like there is better bang for your buck elsewhere. if his sports jacket were sub $1000 I would give it a try.
Yeah, how do you like your Vanacore shirt? They look quite nice and I've considered making it to one of Steve's trunk shows up here.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, how do you like your Vanacore shirt? They look quite nice and I've considered making it to one of Steve's trunk shows up here.
I like it a lot came out great, unfortunately the exact opposite of the Orazio jacket I ordered :( I ordered a kind of "out there" summer style shirt but I love it (see below they even sourced the fabric for me). Will post pics once I got it back only change needed are the cuffs.

Attachments

• 47846.jpg
    47846.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 250

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like it a lot came out great, unfortunately the exact opposite of the Orazio jacket I ordered :( I ordered a kind of "out there" summer style shirt but I love it (see below they even sourced the fabric for me). Will post pics once I got it back only change needed are the cuffs.

Nice. What happened with the Oraizo? :oops:

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I’m not mistaken Tailors Keep has two tiers, MTM and bespoke. The former is done oversees and is — I think — around 2k for a suit. The latter is done in house by their very capable tailor but is closer to 4k.

Can’t recommend TK enough for alterations; they are magicians.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I’m not mistaken Tailors Keep has two tiers, MTM and bespoke. The former is done oversees and is — I think — around 2k for a suit. The latter is done in house by their very capable tailor but is closer to 4k.

Can’t recommend TK enough for alterations; they are magicians.

I thought their bespoke was priced more in the $2k range and made overseas.

They are very good at alterations.

Sinbios

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a tailor who could slim down jeans? I keep hearing that denim requires specialized equipment, is that true or could any tailor do that kind of work?

theh00d

Reaction score
What's the alteration price like for Tailor's Keep?

Trying to get some trousers tapered

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the alteration price like for Tailor's Keep?

Trying to get some trousers tapered
Tailor's Keep does excellent work, and at a higher cost than other alterations tailors I've worked with in SF.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads