• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALTERATIONS Tailor in SAN FRANCISCO

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So can you explain this simple question, how taking material into the shoulder seam will not change the length of the jacket? It's pretty clear to me, the whole jacket will move up if we do so. Again, maybe I am completely wrong.

Why would you ask any of us? None of us here are tailors except for Despos.

This is like going to a doctor and double-checking the person's answers on a random medical board full of loonies. Half the people on this forum are insane.

It may be that you can't fix an armhole without shortening the jacket. It may be that Jonathan's solution is bad. We have no idea because you didn't give him the jacket. But him explaining his idea to you, and then declining to explain it a fourth time, does not make him dishonest.

I have declined many service providers because I ultimately didn't have confidence in them. Those experiences don't make those people dishonest. I just preferred to not use their services.

soccerman

Reaction score
I don't know if you can fix the armhole without shortening the jacket. But it's strange to me to see someone who doesn't know anything about tailoring correct a tailor based on some info he read online posted by randos.

Please don't dodge the question sir. My question was, do you think if taking in material from the should seam will shorten the jacket? I can't see any possibility why I wouldn't. Jonathan insisted it wouldn't.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Please don't dodge the question sir. My question was, do you think if taking in material from the should seam will shorten the jacket? I can't see any possibility why I wouldn't. Jonathan insisted it wouldn't.

Again, I am not a tailor. Neither are you. I'm happy to talk about tailoring as an enthusiast, but I also know my place and wouldn't assume that my view is more correct than an actual tailor.

As I said above, there have been times when I didn't feel confident in someone, so I didn't use their services. That's different from someone being dishonest.

Seems to me that your micromanaging is what got you into this situation in the first place, as you told a tailor to lower the armhole. The person probably thought you were wrong to do this, but I assume they didn't want to argue with you.

soccerman

Reaction score
Again, I am not a tailor. Neither are you. I'm happy to talk about tailoring as an enthusiast, but I also know my place and wouldn't assume that my view is more correct than an actual tailor.

As I said above, there have been times when I didn't feel confident in someone, so I didn't use their services. That's different from someone being dishonest.

Seems to me that your micromanaging is what got you into this situation in the first place, as you told a tailor to lower the armhole. The person probably thought you were wrong to do this, but I assume didn't want to argue with you.

I do not see this question requiring a specific tailoring knowledge to answer, it is just a simple subtraction. You have a length of cloth, you take in some material, you get a shorter length of the cloth. I could see this issue on Friday the first time I met him. I have already asked 2 bespoke tailors about this issue on Sunday. They all said it would obviously change the length.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I do not see this question requiring a specific tailoring knowledge to answer, it is just a simple subtraction. You have a length of cloth, you take in some material, you get a shorter length of the cloth. I could see this issue on Friday the first time I met him. I have already asked 2 bespoke tailors about this issue on Sunday. They all said it would obviously change the length.

I think it's fine if you decline to use someone because you don't have confidence in their solution. Again, this is different from the person being dishonest.

soccerman

Reaction score
Why would you ask any of us? None of us here are tailors except for Despos.

This is like going to a doctor and double-checking the person's answers on a random medical board full of loonies. Half the people on this forum are insane.

It may be that you can't fix an armhole without shortening the jacket. It may be that Jonathan's solution is bad. We have no idea because you didn't give him the jacket. But him explaining his idea to you, and then declining to explain it a fourth time, does not make him dishonest.

I have declined many service providers because I ultimately didn't have confidence in them. Those experiences don't make those people dishonest. I just preferred to not use their services.
I gave him the suit last Friday, and on Monday I went there again to ask my question, he gave my suit back to me and refunded the money. please read my post carefully.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I gave him the suit last Friday, and on Monday I went there again to ask my question, he gave my suit back to me and refunded the money. please read my post carefully.

Yes, and this all seems reasonable to me.

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
I've never found the availability of parking to be a problem. I've now gone there enough to have a routine. I try to arrive between 2 and 3. The last three times I've been there, I've easily found parking on the block of Washington where the Transamerica building is. (Walk to Columbus, cross the street, turn right.) Meters are $3.75 an hour, but I've never needed more than 30 minutes for either pickup or dropoff, and once I even found a meter that had 32 minutes in it and didn't have to pay anything. The Portsmouth Square garage is $4 an hour and a block the other way on Washington.

Do I love paying $2-4 every time I go to Jonathan? No, but compared to what he charges, the parking is a rounding error. Heck, with the price of gas right now, it feels like if I hit the lights wrong it probably adds $2-4. (I'm joking... I hope.)

I'm an idiot. I've been paying $15 an hour for that sketchy garage on 555 Jackson (smells like **** and piss, with trash strewn about and the last time I was there, strung-out homeless people were racing their skateboards from the top to the bottom) because they had a deal on Spothero the first time I ever went, and I just assumed parking in that part of the city was outrageously priced. And I totally forgot about Portsmouth Square! Funny story, growing up we were so poor that my parents would drive around Chinatown for an hour at a time looking for somewhere to shoehorn the car rather than to just cough up a few bucks for Portsmouth. Now I'm dropping some serious moolah moolah to deposit my personal vehicle while employing a man to alter my clothes, which are modeled after the styles of 1930s English royalty. We did it, mom and dad!

soccerman

Reaction score
I think it's fine if you decline to use someone because you don't have confidence in their solution. Again, this is different from the person being dishonest.

Let me explain to you why I think he's dishonest.

This taking in material and changing jacket length is such an obvious issue, and he insisted it wouldn't change the length after I asked him at least 3 times on 2 different days. In my opinion, he wanted to earn the money by doing such thing and thought people like me would not notice the jacket length, because it would only be 0.5-1 inch difference, when I asked him to explain, he couldn't explain it, basically he figured out I already saw this issue and he couldn't trick me anymore, then he chose to refund me.
This is why I think is dishonest.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Let me explain to you why I think he's dishonest.

This taking in material and changing jacket length is such an obvious issue, and he insisted it wouldn't change the length after I asked him at least 3 times on 2 different days. In my opinion, he wanted to earn the money by doing such thing and thought people like me would not notice the jacket length, because it would only be 0.5-1 inch difference, when I asked him to explain, he couldn't explain it, basically he figured out I already saw this issue and he couldn't trick me anymore, then he chose to refund me.
This is why I think is dishonest.

Honestly, I think you're crazy and he was smart to refund your money.

Perhaps his solution wouldn't have worked. I have no idea, as I'm not a tailor. But you made a lot of assumptions in your post above to get to your conclusion.

Last edited:

soccerman

Reaction score
Honestly, I think you're crazy and he was smart to refund your money.

Perhaps his solution wouldn't have worked. I have no idea, as I'm not a tailor. But you made a lot of assumptions in your post above to get to your conclusion.
Why are you always saying you are not a tailor? Can't you do simple subtraction as a 5 year old? You are still dodging all the simple questions. With all due respect, I have not attacked anyone here. You immediately said I am crazy, you are like typical leftist, if you don't like someone or don't agree with someone, you immediately call them evil or crazy, you can't win with logic. I wouldn't reply to this thread anymore. As my first post said, my post is to provide a different opinion about this tailor to everyone on this forum, they can use their common sense to choose who and what to believe.

Last edited:

Sinbios

Reaction score
he insisted it wouldn't change the length after I asked him at least 3 times on 2 different days.

If you ask someone for their professional opinion 3 times and they respond with the same thing each time - insist on it, even - why would you expect a different answer the fourth time?

PilotStyle

Reaction score
Have you tried calling the shop and simply asking Andreas the status of your jacket alteration?

I got my jacket and pants back last week. They were busy with another customer, so I made the mistake of taking it home to try on. The pants were fine, though there were threads sticking out of the leg of the pants about six inches above the cuffs. (I thought they were snags at first, I was glad when I realized I could just pull the loose threads out.)

The jacket wasn't shaped well before, which is why I had it tailored, but now it barely closes, and somehow a roll on the back of the collar was introduced. (Given that it took over two months, it is possible that it was tailored prior to a holiday weight gain, though I don't take my weight all that often.)

I'm debating whether to ask to have it fixed, or just write it off as a learning experience.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I got my jacket and pants back last week. They were busy with another customer, so I made the mistake of taking it home to try on. The pants were fine, though there were threads sticking out of the leg of the pants about six inches above the cuffs. (I thought they were snags at first, I was glad when I realized I could just pull the loose threads out.)

The jacket wasn't shaped well before, which is why I had it tailored, but now it barely closes, and somehow a roll on the back of the collar was introduced. (Given that it took over two months, it is possible that it was tailored prior to a holiday weight gain, though I don't take my weight all that often.)

I'm debating whether to ask to have it fixed, or just write it off as a learning experience.

If it were me, I would ask to have these issues fixed. I think if you bring up the issue nicely, it can be a reasonable request. Assuming the fault isn't with weight gain.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads