• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alterations tailor in NYC: hand-sewn buttonholes

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend an (alterations) tailor in NYC who can do hand-sewn sleeve buttonholes on an Oxxford jacket? Ideally in or around the Financial District, but that's not a strict requirement. Price not important.

lisapop

Reaction score
Sewing buttonholes properly is an art and a craft, so given it's an Oxxford garment, you might want to try contacting Oxxford's store on 57th St--Either they can accommodate you or refer you to someone who can. If not, there is a woman at Loro Piana's shop on upper Madison Avenue who is among the best. Don't know her name, but if you need it, PM me and I'll get it for you.
Grayson

JAGMAJ

Reaction score
How much does it normally run to have working buttonholes added?

lisapop

Reaction score
Working buttonholes are rather an anachronism today and don't serve any purpose or offer any advantage (Well, custom clothing is all pretty much anachronistic), and it's tacky to un-do working button holes.  So, if your non-working button holes are already done, don't bother making any changes.  Some twit at another site was hyperventilating over a $80 Polo rag he picked up at some flea market with, gasp, gasp, real working button holes, but my reaction is BFD.
Grayson

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been using Bhambi for working button holes. All hand-sewn, very dense stitichings. The buttons are properly line up as straight as an arrow and kissing. They charge $10 per hole. They are on 6th fl. in an office building right across from Barneys 60th st. entrance and right next to Borrelli.

Grayson, I'd like give her a try. Would you PM me her name and number? Thanks.

Rubicon

Reaction score
Oxxford's 57th Street store makes sleeve buttonholes well, in my experience. However, since I have been somewhat disappointed with their other on-site alterations in the past (as opposed to the garment that comes out of the Chicago factory, which is a thing of great beauty) I have usually taken my new Oxxford suits to Senol, on East 60th St., who does a very good alterations job, and also left it to him to do the button holes. He charges about $100 for eight sleeve buttons.

I have it on good authority that the current alterations man at the 57th Street store is very good. They will work on Oxxford garments that people bring in, although depending on what needs to be done, they will charge for it.

pgoat

Reaction score
Rubicon, I was thinking of bringing my old oxxford suits in to the Oxxford store on 57th street for some tweaks - they've already been altered but I wasn't satisfied with some of the results.....I always liked to bring my car to the dealer for service so i reckoned they might be best for an Oxxford suit.

May I ask what specifically you didn't like or would warn against having done? Any advice on what you'd do diffrently if you went there again?

Also, any idea what they charge for basic stuff like hemming pants, shortening sleeves, etc?

Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads