• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alterations of sleeves from shoulders

Lev Vyacheslavovich

Reaction score
Hello, I have just recently purchased a orazio luciano sport jacket that fits me perfectly in the shoulders and length, except with the length of the sleeves. The sleeves have working buttonholes, thus I must have it taken in from the shoulders. Is it possible for an experienced tailor to take it in about 2"-2 1/2"? Some people say it can't be done, while others say it can be done up to 3" Also any good recommendations for a good tailor in Atlanta, if any of y'all live in the area?Thank you!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't know the exact length that it can be done, but yes, you can take sleeves up from the shoulder. My understanding is that it's a relatively delicate job, however. I would use a more reliable tailor in your area.

@bourbonbasted lives in Atlanta and may be able to give a recommendation.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Does the cloth have a pattern that requires matching the pattern on the horizontal line of the pattern on the sleeve to the armhole? This would be a limitation to shortening form the top.

The shape of the sleeve tapers from the top downwards. Cutting/reshaping the sleeve head 2" lower will make the top sleeve more narrow than before and could cause other issues when attaching the sleeve. Can produce divots or reduce freedom of movement because the sleeve is more narrow than the armhole width.
Just measured a sleeve pattern to confirm what I said.
Current width is 19.5" at the bottom line of the sleeve.
Measuring 2" down, width is 18.5".
The 1" reduction amount has a significant effect on sleeves.
Not saying it's not possible but you need someone who knows what they are doing and not someone who thinks they can figure it out without experience in cutting/sewing.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Sid Mashburn can handle the work, as I've had them alter from the shoulder in the past. That said, to Chris's point, it was a solid navy blazer with maybe only a CM to adjust, which is an easier endeavor.

I'd also recommend taking it to Teo at Flor's. I believe he did stints as both head cutter and tailor at Mario Bosco before Mario retired. As I understand it he's mostly bespoke these days, having essentially inherited Mario's client list, but I think he does alterations here and there. He'd be a good option.

Lev Vyacheslavovich

Reaction score
Thank you for the recommendations! Right now I sent my jacket to a tailor named Coskun Corekli (JJ custom Tailor Designer). He's a bespoke tailor and said he can bring in 2 inches from the shoulder. Luckily the circumference of the sleeves are pretty wide for me anyway ( hence I purchased this jacket, knowing the alteration could be possible) so he can bring-in the sleeves, without cutting anything and tempering with the taper of the sleeves.

Lev Vyacheslavovich

Reaction score
Update: So I had my sleeves shortened from the shoulder, and my tailor was really good! I had 2 inches shortened from the sleeves and the sleeves aren't tight at all! If anyone is in the area, JJ custom Tailor Designer is a great option!

aquatherm

Reaction score
I had this done once. My usual tailor wouldn't touch it so had to take to elsewhere. Ended up going to the tailors Charles Tyrewhitt, TM Lewin etc use and was please with the outcome. Not perfect but there wasn't any pitch issues or divots so was relieved

haloitsme

Reaction score
Update: So I had my sleeves shortened from the shoulder, and my tailor was really good! I had 2 inches shortened from the sleeves and the sleeves aren't tight at all! If anyone is in the area, JJ custom Tailor Designer is a great option!
Can you show a picture how the shoulder have been done?

Thx

Lev Vyacheslavovich

Reaction score
Sure… I don’t know whether or not these images are sufficient enough though:

Attachments

• 3F2490B8-021D-4930-BD49-55C818284FCE.jpeg
    3F2490B8-021D-4930-BD49-55C818284FCE.jpeg
    142.3 KB · Views: 38
  • B7B51476-CDD0-40EE-AF9B-F19066F13EFA.jpeg
    B7B51476-CDD0-40EE-AF9B-F19066F13EFA.jpeg
    129.4 KB · Views: 113
  • 981E6C7B-33E8-4815-A2FD-BF2F7C9D4F06.jpeg
    981E6C7B-33E8-4815-A2FD-BF2F7C9D4F06.jpeg
    151.1 KB · Views: 113

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads