• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alterations in Brisbane, AU

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Canberraman, yes, that was my jacket.
George did a great job on the sleeves - he cut working buttonholes and did some handwork around the bottom of the sleeves. I'm very happy to have found him.

hammer07

Reaction score
I also want to get my Cucinelli shepherd check altered.
laugh.gif
Can somebody tell me about how much it'd cost to get the sleeves shortened (maybe 1' so might have to be at the shoulders) by George? Or can somebody give me the phone number of the shop?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello Hammer,

Given that the buttonholes were not initially cut - just stitched - you should not need to have the sleeves taken up at the shoulder, but that is something that you can talk to George about. Obviously, it will be a lot cheaper to just have the sleeves taken up at the cuffs, rather than at the shoulder.

George's number is 3211 1000 and the address is Shop 2, 47 Elizabeth St, Brisbane City.

hammer07

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Journeyman. Appreciate it.
smile.gif
I was thinking if I took an inch off, the buttons might end up too close to the end of the sleeve. I will go and see what he thinks though.

jaygee

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with a decent tailor in the Gold Coast area

Rani

Reaction score
neyus and Journeyman I really appreciate your summaries of Brisbane's assortment of alteration shops. Any information on anything to do with dressing right in Brisbane is an absolute God send. I can't thank you guys enough.

hammer07

Reaction score
I went to pay George a visit and he definitely is a gentleman. He quoted me $120 on the phone to shorten and finish sleeves with working buttonholes but when I got there, he said he could do it for $100. The work done was of very good quality (buttonholes were machine sewn but he attached the buttons with crow's foot stitching) and I will very happily pay the premium to have work done by him in future.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hammer, I am glad that George was able to help.

For any others who might need tailoring, Joe Richards (where George works) has temporarily relocated to the 11th floor of 270 Adelaide St (just slightly up the hill from the corner of Adelaide and Creek Streets) in Icon Place.

They will probably be there for a couple of months whilst a new, more permanent location is arranged and fitted out.

When I was there last week, they'd just taken a large delivery of Sutor Mantellasi shoes. Horrendously expensive, but gorgeous to look at!

zenbot

Reaction score
I just visited George"”Joe Richards are still at 270 Adelaide street on level 11, for anybody like me who thought their listing in the White Pages (old!) or the address listed on their website (super ancient!) might be accurate. I have to assume that Joe Richards has a loyal clientele that knows exactly where they are, because you would never in a million years find the store if you didn't know exactly where it was.

Coming from the perspective of a complete sartorial novice, George was lovely: easy to talk to, not at all pushy, confident in his taste, but I think completely willing to set it aside to respect a customer's wishes. I wasn't sure if my suit jacket's sleeves needed lengthening, and he was, but he was very keen to prefix his advice with "But if you like it the way it is, it's fine!"

Feeling way out of my depth I completely forgot to ask what the cost would be (he's taking the sides of my jacket in and letting out the sleeves), but I'll post impressions and the financial damage once I pick up the jacket next week.

zenbot

Reaction score
Apologies, I completely forgot about my post!

Total cost was $107 to have the sleeves lengthened and the sides taken in.

The quality of the work is excellent and the jacket has gone from looking like it belonged to a fatter, shorter-armed ancestor, to something that actually fits.

jaygee

Reaction score
Resurrected this thread in an effort to see if anyone has used George of Joe Richards lately. Since the phone #'s from the website & white pages are not operational, I can only assume he's thrown in the tape-measure.

If so does anyone have any current critiques/recommendations of Brissy tailors re some shoulder alterations to a jacket?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaygee
Resurrected this thread in an effort to see if anyone has used George of Joe Richards lately. Since the phone #'s from the website & white pages are not operational, I can only assume he's thrown in the tape-measure.

If so does anyone have any current critiques/recommendations of Brissy tailors re some shoulder alterations to a jacket?

Jaygee,

No, George is still busily sewing and cutting - or at least he will be, when he gets back from holidays.

He is away until early September, from memory.

When he returns, he will be working out of the new Richards & Richards store (a joint venture between Joe Richards and his sons), which will be located on the corner of Edward and Elizabeth Streets.

The store is expected to open on 01 September, but I don't think that George will be back at work for a few days after that.

jaygee

Reaction score
Journeyman,

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure how they do business. None of their phone #'s work, not listed under Joe Richards in the white pages and their website is years out of date. It must be all word of mouth! Damn they must be good!

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just an update on George's whereabouts:

He is back from holidays and is based in the about-to-open Richards & Richards store, which is at the corner of Elizabeth and Edward Streets in Brisbane City. The very corner of the building is to be a Hermes store, and the Richards & Richards store will occupy the ground floor just along on Elizabeth St and upstairs as well.

The phone number is 3211 1000.

The Richards & Richards will hopefully open for business this coming Tuesday, 21 September.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads