1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Alteration question...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Baz, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Baz

Baz Active Member

Hi. I'm new to the forum. Been lurking for a little while and have learned a great deal. Thank you for such a great resource. I have question that I haven't seen addressed in the past. While scanning eBay for some nice threads in my size (with a little help from A Harris' "How To Measure For eBay" post) I came across a very nice looking Barbera Sartoriale suit. While most of the measurements were very close to what I needed the sleeves were about two inches too long. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....67&rd=1 Normally, I would assume, this is the easiest alteration to have done. But...what if the sleeve has working buttonholes? Does that mean any alteration of its length would have to be at the shoulder? Is that even an option? The auction ended and it appears that someone got a sweet deal. But it wasn't me. Thanks, Baz

2. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Distinguished Member

So YOU were the one who bought Hin-leung's suit. Congrats, I've seen it in person, and it's a wonderful garment (and has been meticulously cared for by him). koji

3. Baz

Baz Active Member

No. Sadly, I didn't buy it because I was unsure about altering it. That was the reason for my question.

4. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

A good tailor can shorten sleeves from the shoulder. I don't know if they can do 2" although I would guess that's possible. Someone else here should be able to be more positive about it and give you a price to expect to pay. Or do a search (the red button above) for the words "shorten shoulder" (no quotes) and you should come up with some more info.

5. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Distinguished Member

Here's a prior and complete discussion of this thread: http://<a href="http://www.styleforu......tonhole</a> There are other threads too (search under "working and buttonhole"). It's an expensive procedure to have your own tailor undertake this, and, in my own experience, the results (with regard to button placement and general appearance) have sometimes been disappointing.

6. Baz

Baz Active Member

Thanks, STYLESTUDENT. That was a very helpful thread.