• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Alteration question

horton

Reaction score
Has anyone had experience with having lapels re-sized or altered?

Joe Calautti of Rizzos in Cambridge (for those who know him) told me that in the past they used to resize/trim down some wide lapels.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this, and would appreciate any observations or advice.

Thanks

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Do you plan to have the buttonhole rewoven and re-placed? Typically that is a major consideration.

horton

Reaction score
Excellent point.

I don't know what/how Joe used to do it.

I'll have to check into the possibilities once I get a closer look at the jacket I'm considering.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, the reweaving is possible assuming you have a little spare fabric. However, it's not that cheap to do it, especially since it has to be perfect in such a visible place.

Another option depending on the lapel might be to cut it more straight or concave than it originally was, or possibly re-padstitch it to roll higher and more gradually (and thus appear narrower). Don't know if this is a common or even possible procedure, but it's a thought.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 58 17.8%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 110 33.7%
  • 8”

Votes: 96 29.4%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 36 11.0%
  • 9”

Votes: 13 4.0%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.1%