• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alteration Charges

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TCN
I've got a few things at each of the local tailors that I use, but with all of the recent sales, they're swamped (looking at 2-3 weeks turnaround time). Also, they're good, but a little pricey for my latest acquisition, which is just an inexpensive chino suit from J. Crew that only needs sleeve and pant leg shortening plus some suspender buttons put in. So I went to a little no frills alteration shop that came highly recommended.

I just dropped the suit off, and they seem fine, but I was a bit shocked that such a bare bones shop (think dry cleaner-esque) charged so much ($25 for trouser shortening and cuffs, $20 for simple sleeve shortening, and $8 to put suspender buttons on). Their prices were the same or even slightly higher than what my usual places charge (which are very nice clothiers with experienced tailors and higher overhead).

I'm curious what you guys pay for alterations in your areas.

Here's a list of common alterations, and what I seem to pay here in metropolitan Detroit. By the way, the worst tailor/seamstress I've ever been to is here in Detroit, a place called "Metropolitan Tailoring", so I would urge caution to anyone going there.

Trouser cuffs: $20 to $25
Shortening jacket sleeves: $14 to $20
Taking a jacket in: $25 to $35
Functioning sleeve buttons: $10 per buttonhole
Trouser waist alterations: $10 to $15
Trouser seat and thigh alterations: $20 to $30

I haven't had shirts altered in ages, so I won't post old prices.

the cuffs, way too high.
sleeves, cheap.
i think you have those prices transposed.
the rest seem usual.
clothiers take in alterations as a service and a loss leader to bring in business. thats why there is a long wait. the profit comes from clothing sales not from alterations. the small tailor must pay for all of the overhead from what his hands produce.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting perspective, thanks (at least I know the prices are in line with what they should be); although strictly as an FYI, I would submit that the "alterations only" shop is literally a closet behind a building with two young Eastern European women manning a table, while the tailor/clothiers are significantly larger operations with multiple employees, etc.

They also seemed expensive whenI asked (for my wife) about shortening women's jeans and putting the original hem/end back on, $35 versus $15 (where she goes now).

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TCN
Here's a list of common alterations, and what I seem to pay here in metropolitan Detroit. By the way, the worst tailor/seamstress I've ever been to is here in Detroit, a place called "Metropolitan Tailoring", so I would urge caution to anyone going there.

Trouser cuffs: $20 to $25
Shortening jacket sleeves: $14 to $20
Taking a jacket in: $25 to $35
Functioning sleeve buttons: $10 per buttonhole
Trouser waist alterations: $10 to $15
Trouser seat and thigh alterations: $20 to $30

The prices are somewhat consistent with what I pay, except trouser cuffs are around $15. He does a superb job and has done a few quick fixes for free, so I don't complain.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics