• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alteration Blues

jonny2box

Reaction score
Just trying to sound the board for some advice here.
I treated myself to a nice pair of PT01 travel pants.
They were on 50% sale 179$ instead of 350$ (Canada)

Went to a fairly reputable (in the top 3) tailor (not dry cleaner) place in town - Montreal.
And when I went to pick them up they were clearly 1" too short from the measurement we took during the fitting. What I think happened is they cut them at the chalk line and forgot they had to add the hem which gobbled up another 1". They apologize say that they can still lower them 3/4" and have them ready in another couple days. OK

Go back to pick them up, the length is good, they added a bit of basting material on the inside, but no big deal. But when they pulled the stitches from the previous job, they now put two little holes in the material at the bottom of one of the pant legs.

I have the worst luck with tailors screwing up what should be simple alterations ...
What would be an appropriate course of action here ? or an appropriate resolution ?
I have a feeling they will say sometimes the sewing needs snags a thread going through and it's not their fault. But it still looks like it was picked and torn with the stitch puller.

I keep kicking myself for not giving it to the high-end men's store to do the alteration. At least if they screw it up they can replace the pants. But I've had bad luck with in-store alterations as well.

Attachments

• tempImagethtu2e.png
    tempImagethtu2e.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 60
Last edited:

paxonus

Reaction score
Just trying to sound the board for some advice here.
I treated myself to a nice pair of PT01 travel pants.
They were on 50% sale 179$ instead of 350$ (Canada)

Went to a fairly reputable (in the top 3) tailor (not dry cleaner) place in town - Montreal.
And when I went to pick them up they were clearly 1" too short from the measurement we took during the fitting. What I think happened is they cut them at the chalk line and forgot they had to add the hem which gobbled up another 1". They apologize say that they can still lower them 3/4" and have them ready in another couple days. OK

Go back to pick them up, the length is good, they added a bit of basting material on the inside, but no big deal. But when they pulled the stitches from the previous job, they now put two little holes in the material at the bottom of one of the pant legs.

I have the worst luck with tailors screwing up what should be simple alterations ...
What would be an appropriate course of action here ? or an appropriate resolution ?
I have a feeling they will say sometimes the sewing needs snags a thread going through and it's not their fault. But it still looks like it was picked and torn with the stitch puller.

I keep kicking myself for not giving it to the high-end men's store to do the alteration. At least if they screw it up they can replace the pants. But I've had bad luck with in-store alterations as well.
I use a dry cleaner for doing this sort of work, as it is inexpensive and almost impossible to mess up provided you do the following. I pin them up myself to the correct length before I take them to the cleaner. That leaves no room for error. On the other hand, if I want a cuff, I do it myself since there is no need for hiding the stitching.

adrianvo

Reaction score
Learn to sew. I did years ago, because my country isn't exactly known for good tailors.
They're expensive and none of them have a professional background of any sort.

Can't even imagine how much money I've saved on it, and mistakes avoided by bad tailors.

Last edited:

BPL Esq

Reaction score
Edited.
I speak four languages, and English is not my mother's tongue. Spelling mistakes are to be expected.

We set these devious little traps in English so we can all have a chuckle.

jonny2box

Reaction score
This thread took an unexpected turn ! Haha

-besides learning how to be a farmer ... or learning to sew.

What are normal resolutions or courses of action in these situations ?
Just shrug it off as a loss ?
Again ... I'm already burning through all the alterations places in town.

- Eton shirt where a tailor cut the sleeves too short,
- Rota pants where when widening the waist the tailor had to detach the center belt loops and gloriously ripped the material underneath.
- Even the 'fine tailors' at Harry Rosen managed to screw up a jacket lining by putting a full twist in the arm sleeve.

Most tailors have just shrugged it off, apologized and said they would refund the 15$ job.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would certainly be unhappy at how this turned out. The holes are visible and should not happen during rehemming. They can be repaired by reweaving but this is not inexpensive. You probably don’t have much leverage here but I’d ask whether they would pay for reweaving to repair the holes that they caused by this poor work.

lfd75

Reaction score
If you are willing to go to the West Island I can recommend an excellent tailor and a few excellent seamstresses. Also have you checked out "alterations Paul" in Phillips Square? He did some work for me a few years ago and have no complains.

jonny2box

Reaction score
Alteration Paul is next on my list to try out. Thanks for the recommendation.

-I'm also on the West Island, so wouldn't mind hearing some recommendations.

jonny2box

Reaction score
I would certainly be unhappy at how this turned out. The holes are visible and should not happen during rehemming. They can be repaired by reweaving but this is not inexpensive. You probably don’t have much leverage here but I’d ask whether they would pay for reweaving to repair the holes that they caused by this poor work.

Thanks - That's what I was hoping to hear ..
Can anyone else chime in from experience that this shouldn't have been damaged in a simple rehemming job ?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks - That's what I was hoping to hear ..
Can anyone else chime in from experience that this shouldn't have been damaged in a simple rehemming job ?

If you're talking about the two big holes here, then no, this should not have happened.

The small holes are normal for this type of fabric.

Personally, I would not bother with a reweaving. I also wouldn't bother trying to resolve this with the tailor. Would just find a new tailor for future jobs.

tempImagethtu2e.png

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My only other comment is that if these are dress trousers, the more common hem would be a blind stitch. This stitch would be expected on casual trousers.

efta

Reaction score
Yeah, im just going to agree with the rest of the crowd here; apart from maybe the learning to sew part as that shouldn't be necessary. I say shouldn't - but the state of the alteration tailors trade these days is really poor.

A month ago or so I handed in three trousers to be hemmed at the same time at a local alterations tailor who, despite very clear instructions, left the trousers about 5cm too long. Sure, its better than being too short, but now im out 100 bucks or whatever and still have three pairs of unusable trousers.

lfd75

Reaction score
Alteration Paul is next on my list to try out. Thanks for the recommendation.

-I'm also on the West Island, so wouldn't mind hearing some recommendations.
Al the tailor in Plaza Pointe-Claire is very good. He runs a small shop with his daughter and another seamstress. I used his services for the eight years that I lived in the WI. Also the seamstresses at the “Singer“ repair shop in DDO (Blue Haven strip mall next to Menchies) are all very good but Cristina is the best. I’ve used them for shortening sleeves, waist supression, and tapering pants.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads