Alteration and deminishing hand work.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MilanoStyle, Feb 8, 2005.

1. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Senior member

What do you guys think of altering hand made OTR suit such as Attolini, Brioni, Kiton, etc..? I do not know other suits, but I know Attolini has hand picked stichings on pretty much all of jacket seams. When I have my tailor to alter Attolini jacket, I think i am going to lose these beautiful details done by Attolini tailors.. [​IMG] Should I ask my tailor to replicate picked stichings on the seams after he make alterations? This may cost me $$$ [​IMG]

2. Fashionslave

Fashionslave Senior member

I think any tailor worth his salt can replicate the pick stitching on an Attolini or Kiton garment.I know it's sad to lose the original,but hey ,better to have a proper sleeve length than to keep the original pickstitching.I don't think it would cost a whole lot.It's the finishing touch on a garment and far easier to do than ,say, reattach a sleeve at the shoulder or something.

3. Alias

Alias Senior member

Speaking of reattaching sleeves, I have to get a pair of sleeves shortened. These sleeves have working buttonholes. I think 1 cm should do it. Has anyone done this with a high amount of success? I'm talking perfect, with preservation of sleeve pitch.

4. tdial

tdial Senior member

Alias, I have had this done. I described in in detail when I had my tailor do it to a Borrelli suit I bought from Ian Daniels. Basically, my tailor removed the entire sleeve, shortened from the top of the sleeve, and then narrowed the sleeve to restore the proportionate tapering. It was an expensive alteration (100 bucks or so), but it made the suit look perfect and kept the working button holes intact.

I believe someone else in my city went to my tailor per my recommendation for the same alteration and came away as pleased as I was.

It does require, however, a good tailor with some experience, I would imagine.