• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alter Burberry Trench Coat?

Baked Potato

Reaction score
Hey guys, :)

I'm having a small dilemma here. I really want a Burberry trench coat, but there's a small issue with the size. A size (EU) 44 fits well, but might feel a little too tight after a meal, while the 46 fits a little bit on the larger size, also having a "skirt effect" on the bottom part. I've also tried Burberry's other fits, but I'd have to size up in them which makes the shoulders too wide.

So the question is: Is it possible to alter a Burberry trench coat (making a size 46 smaller)? Or perhaps moving the buttons 1-2cm on the size 44? They don't offer odd sizes unfortunately, otherwise a size 45 would be perfect.

To be specific, this is Burberry's "Made in England" 100% Gabardine trench coat ("Heritage line"), if it makes any difference.

letsgofire

Reaction score
Hey guys, :)

I'm having a small dilemma here. I really want a Burberry trench coat, but there's a small issue with the size. A size (EU) 44 fits well, but might feel a little too tight after a meal, while the 46 fits a little bit on the larger size, also having a "skirt effect" on the bottom part. I've also tried Burberry's other fits, but I'd have to size up in them which makes the shoulders too wide.

So the question is: Is it possible to alter a Burberry trench coat (making a size 46 smaller)? Or perhaps moving the buttons 1-2cm on the size 44? They don't offer odd sizes unfortunately, otherwise a size 45 would be perfect.

To be specific, this is Burberry's "Made in England" 100% Gabardine trench coat ("Heritage line"), if it makes any difference.

Definitely. The Burberry stores (or at least the one in Chicago) does this in-house.

Baked Potato

Reaction score
Definitely. The Burberry stores (or at least the one in Chicago) does this in-house.

The Burberry store here in Stockholm doesn’t have an in-house tailor, unfortunately. They send everything to a third-party tailor (which they have an agreement with), so I can’t try the coats on with the tailor looking at it. I don’t want to pay for both and bring them to the tailor either.

I spoke to the tailor today and she said that trench coats are “problematic” to alter. I really love Burberry’s trench coats, but I don’t want to pay such a huge sum for something that doesn’t fit 100%.

What would you guys suggest - go with the size 46 and bring in the chest/waist, or should I go with the size 44 and move the buttons? The latter worries me, as I don’t want to throw the proportions off by moving the buttons, nor do I want the holes from the prior button stiching to be visible.

Mannerheim

Reaction score
outerwear can fit fuller so depending on the amount of "skirting" it could be fine, otherwise cotton fabrics are problematic when you take them out, taking in shouldn't be an issue for a decent tailor

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads