• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

alright, we need an electronica thread up in here

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let me tell you about this track, Mikro. It's great. The genre is called dubstep, and it's probably unlike anything you've ever heard before, because modern electronica is such a fringe genre, outside of giants like Aphex Twin.

Anyway, the track, Mikro. It's the aural equivalent of a grand, sweeping journey across the cosmos on a chariot made entirely of water. It's a very busy track, supremely over-produced - meaning almost too many noises. Upon listening to it, I feel almost overwhelmed... probably the same way the first pioneers of jazz felt upon listening, really listening, to their own work for the first time. Click here to download this epic, full-blown ballad.

Warning: a far cry from modern cookie-cutter music, this needs to be listened to on headphones for full effect. Preferably good headphones. Either that or a really nice sound system. If you're at work or something, don't even bother downloading - the song loses a LOT when played at low volume.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dubstep... nice. I will check it out when I get home. I sort of fizzled out of d&b for a while; I have been rather disillussioned since the demise of ragga jungle in the early-mid 90's and d&b never quite filled the void for me. Except for some darkstep and drill & bass stuff.
Send other recommendations if you have any.

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh, i definitely plan to

the great thing about online labels like thinner (www.thinner.cc) is that the music's all free, so if this thread gets enough interest, i'm going to turn it into a hellstorm of URLs

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
boring. as far as that kinda music goes nothing will ever compare to Black Dog - Spanners link I also like some Steve Roach. And early Autechre, like Incunabula and Tri Repetae, the more organic sounding stuff they did earlier on. BTW: Black Dog is known as "Plaid" these days I believe. Actually, oman...this song you posted is starting to grow on me. Reminds me of FSOL kind of (Lifeforms and ISDN were great imo).

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm more into trance, especially vocal trance. DJ GT / DJ Project C are very good at taking trance / vocal trance songs and making them into hour-long seamless streams; it's certainly better than anything Paul Oakenfold can do.

Jon.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've heard Paul Oakenfold before, I didn't like it at all. I don't go for vocals in electronic much either. My tastes change though. I was listening to an old Download cd I have (eyes of stanley pain), which I used to be really into. Makes me wonder, what the hell was I thinking lol

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
would someone categorize Keltech for me, and give me some similar artists to look for?

also, same for an artist called Cue-T.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by faustian bargain
would someone categorize Keltech for me, and give me some similar artists to look for?

File under "Strange British Hip-hop".

If you're looking for more collaborative stuff with rappers, I'd try Mark B and Blade.

For the instrumental side of things, Mix Master Mike from the US, DJ Spooky, and DJ Q-Bert.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
OK, don't know if this is the place for it or what. I'm interested in finding either rock with an electronica/house underpinning or converesly electronica/whatever with overt rock 'n' roll influences. Suggestions? Does this even exist?

Thanks
Tom

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Garbage comes to mind. They're certainly not the only ones, but I guess they were among the first. Sneaker Pimps, as well. Splashdown was never released, but they have a cult following online, and they shouldn't be hard to find. Also some Brad Sucks, which is all free.

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nick M
File under "Strange British Hip-hop".

If you're looking for more collaborative stuff with rappers, I'd try Mark B and Blade.

For the instrumental side of things, Mix Master Mike from the US, DJ Spooky, and DJ Q-Bert.

hey if you like spooky and q-bert, you should listen to dj shadow also

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oman
hey if you like spooky and q-bert, you should listen to dj shadow also
I do, but he doesn't sound like Keltech, so I didn't mention him.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
OK, don't know if this is the place for it or what. I'm interested in finding either rock with an electronica/house underpinning or converesly electronica/whatever with overt rock 'n' roll influences. Suggestions? Does this even exist?
Depends on how hard you like your rock. All the names I can think of probably lean more towards pop-rock/electronica.

Maybe try...

Muse;
Le Tigre;
The Go! Team;
Radiohead - some of their work, anyway;
Prospect;
pre_shrunk - an Australian band with an unusual bass/bass/drums lineup;
Daft Punk.

I'm sure there are plenty of others.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Cool, thanks, and A also. Le Tigre is the only one I'm somewhat familiar with and that's definitely the direction I'm looking for. I'll work on getting some of those others. I have to say my collection has expanded in a huge way thanks to the board--Dead 60s, Sounds, Hot Hot Heat, Nouvelle Vague...

Tom

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How is dubstep different from dub or psydub?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads