• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alright, now that we all know the iPad sucks... E-READER THREAD

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was considering this ipad thing purely based on e-reader functionality, but since it just has a regular LCD screen... *******, it's time to buy an e-reader.

For those of you who don't know, an e-reader is an ebook reader - a piece of tech that lets you read a near-infinite number of books.

Unique features include:

• The ability to read in sunlight, due to NO GLARE! (thanks to E-Ink, a proprietary technology)
  • None of the eye strain that accompanies crt or lcd screens (again, thanks e-ink!)
  • Massive battery life (we're talking days or weeks - seven thousand pageturns is about average I believe)
  • Slim form factor so college kids like me don't have to lug around a bunch of textbooks

The first mass-produced e-readers were the amazon kindle and the sony e-reader (Kindle pictured below).

Amazon%20Kindle%20Screen%20Picture.jpg

Of course, despite generational upgrades, those were rubbish. The recent CES event was widely seen as the coming-of-age party for e-readers, and gave us a bunch of new options. Here are some:

B&N Nook
barnes-and-noble-nook.jpg

The Entourage Edge, which combines a netbook and an e-reader
edge.jpg

The PixelQi, which made a bunch of nerds excitedly slobber over themselves declaring the "death of e-ink" (i'm not convinced, but judge for yourself - interesting video at http://gizmodo.com/5444232/notion-in...en-is-obsolete )
500x_500x_adamtablet_1.jpg

The one I'm interested in, though, has a dumb name like bebook neo or something. But just look at it:

product_overview_main_image_neo.jpg

fantastic

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what pisses me off is how pricey these things are. the neo won't come out until late feb and costs $300ish, which i think is a good lil bit for a black-and-white device - but hey, as long as it lets me read anything, anywhere

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want one that is small as a paperback and just as light. Like if I can hold and operate it comfortably with one hand then I would buy it.
I like the Nook, edge and the PixelQi because they run android which means more applications are available giving it more functionality than just for reading books.

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
interesting. i was hoping the apple tablet would deliver something like what you described, but since it fell flat on its face, i realized all i really want is a device that will let me load up ANY pdf and read it comfortably in the sun with no glare

i hate all this DRM (digital rights management) crap that tries to limit what pdfs you can boot, et cetera. thankfully amazon realized that anti-user-friendly **** wasn't getting it anywhere and ditched it; still, i'm confident the competition can do better

and youre right, hardware design and build quality is of the utmost importance. the nook looks fantastic in that regard, eh?

Mr T

Reaction score
The Kindle you pictured is a few years old - the current model (there are actually two current models) is a bit sleeker. I own the current version and absolutely love it. But the iPad thread reminded me of who these e-readers are really meant for. They are meant for readers. Those of us who always have a book in our hand and just love to read. For us, we only want a reader (and maybe a simple mp3 player). We don't want aps or gps or anything else that computers do. We simply want to read and buy content over an easy to use wireless connection.

I decided on the kindle but really any of the current e-readers are fine. Amazon has not given up their DRM - most other readers use the open e-pub format however.

I would be happy to answer any questions on my e-reader experience.

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
youre absolutely right - i basically only want a barebones e-reader. personally, i'd even be willing skip out on the wireless connection since i mostly plan on using it for books that are legally available for free, as well as older out-of-print textbooks

i was considering the prs-300 (the updated pocket version of sony's old prs-600) since it has lovely build quality (steel frame, one-handed usability, fantastic battery life), but apparently there are issues regarding pdfs - there's only limited zoom available on them, which might make it a bit hard to read since the screen is only 5"

such a lovely looking device though. sigh

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't need another gadget.

Laptop, smart phone, iPod, gps... too ******* many "things".
It's like the pile of remote controls on most people's coffee tables.

I don't see any one box ever taking the place of all my gadgets, but I sure don't want to add to the pile I already have.

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this one actually saves space because it reduces the number of books you buy

i mean i like physical books as much as anyone, but i have enough old ones to create a library - i sure as hell don't need more

besides, as a college student, this reduces the number of things i have to carry to school to exactly one (and a notebook for note-taking)

coldarchon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bought a simpad for 30 bucks @ebay, thats enough ..

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm really interested in one of these but I haven't taken the plunge. Not sure why. Availability of books maybe?

What else does one need to pay for with one of these? WiFi? How do they work (in general)?

BP348

Reaction score
My wife got me a Sony E-Book reader for X-Mas.

I haven't used it much but for what I want it for, just read books, it's pretty good.

My problem is that I read so much if I had to buy all the books I'd go broke. The library is my friend

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what about the new mininotebooks ?

A HP one cost ~$400

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My problem with e-book readers is that they do one thing. Seriously? If it does one thing, it had better cost $35, like disposable cellphones you buy at 7-11. Someone invented a gadget not too long ago which allows you to do nothing but look up wikipedia entries. I kid you not. Just think for a second about how stone-age that is.

I should like to think we are at the point where we can realistically create the all-in-one device. Despite Dakota Rube's
ffffuuuu.gif
ing, it's our best hope of avoiding the nightmare scenario of 15 different remote controls on the table. The iPad was the most promising attempt but turned out to be a wash. This Edge looks interesting, but I know nothing about it. The Nook has been receiving good press, but I have been reading horror stories about shipments delayed for up to 2 months.

I seem to recall one of the tech blogs running several pieces about ereader fatigue after CES. It seems every competitor is throwing its hat into the ring without actually offering any standout technology. I wish I could find those articles.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the point of an electronic device that weighs as much as a book and simulates reading a book with page turns and such? I have books. I can mark in the margins. I can dog-ear pages. I can drop them on pavement with no damage. The indices, bibliographies, appendices, publisher information, annotations, and everything else are pretty much formatted the same way. I can skip to pages and set the book down easily. The books won't change, so I don't need updates or anything from the Internet.

I just don't understand the point of paying money for something with less functionality.

coldarchon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads