• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alpine or Italian style shops and blogs

Lol1000

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

can anyone point me to a blog or also online shop that handles the Southern European gentleman style? I love the Cordings/Connelys/Tweeds of the world, but I was curious about the Italian gentleman style beyond the big brand names.

I have been to Turin and saw lots of shops where you can drown comfortably in loden, coloured merinos and all sorts of leather goods. Hiking and hunting were big themes, but they were all local mom&pop shops.

I also went through Permanent Style, where he talks about individual items, but not the overall Italian/Alpine/Southern European style.

Any hints from the well-travelled crowd here? Thanks a lot!!

Spinster Jones

Reaction score
When it comes to boots;

0B41204D-20C1-4E2E-B011-CFB45B3AD933.jpeg

These are the kings. Old french Patagonia Galibiers.

Other brands are
Scarpavera
Alico

Old ones that doesn't exist anymore are;
Le Trappeur (US)
Kinney Shoes (Italy)
Richard Pontvert (France)

Attachments

• AFA77309-FEFC-48E9-86EC-286FC21EFE39.jpeg
    AFA77309-FEFC-48E9-86EC-286FC21EFE39.jpeg
    89.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Alico.jpg
    Alico.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 5
  • Scarpavera2.jpg
    Scarpavera2.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Spinster Jones

Reaction score
It's hard to find good examples, I've tried, so I'm curious as well. And I can't find my old links/pictures, but I'll post what I have.

The Italian mountain style is synonymous with the "Alps style"; as the mountain range stretches between Italy, France, Switzerland, Germany, Austria etc. Therefore every country has it's own contributions to the style, with local varieties.

The whole aesthetic is centered around wool worn to shreds, and then mended. Usually they are hand-knitted. Dachstein, an Austrian firm, is a good example;
Dachstein.jpg

Robert W. Stolz does a good take on the loden coat;

Stolz loden.jpg

Lol1000

Reaction score
I think people are missing the point here. I am not asking for mountaineering outfits, but Northern Italian/Alpine gentlemen outfitters.

Spinster Jones

Reaction score
I love the Cordings/Connelys/Tweeds of the world
loden, coloured merinos and all sorts of leather goods.
Alpine/Southern European style.

I'm not misunderstanding. You're asking the wrong questions. I've pointed towards leather goods (boots), loden coats, and merinos. The actual alpine Cordings (=country) style.

Show us some pictures of what you're looking for then...

JJ Katz

Reaction score
I think I understand your question. However, it may be posed incorrectly. Whereas traditional British "gentlemanly" style covered formal, semi-formal town and tailored country-wear, there is no such range of items that could be defined as "Alpine/Northern Italian". I.e., Alpine clothing could only refer to mountaineering clothes or traditional items like Austrian trachten, lederhosen, etc.

Norther Italian 'town' tailoring, of course, needs no introduction.

But there isn't an Italian or Swiss-austrian equivalent of tweed jacket, tattersall shirt, corduroy trousers and brogues.
Or, rather, a gentleman from those places would wear a variation of those of an English gentleman.

Loden cloth and 'Loden-style' coats are perhaps on exception.

Spinster Jones

Reaction score
I have been to Turin and saw lots of shops where you can drown comfortably in loden, coloured merinos and all sorts of leather goods. Hiking and hunting were big themes, but they were all local mom&pop shops.

I'm going to Turin this week. Any shops that you would recommend?

Jaggery

Reaction score
It might be worth subscribing to the email list for Via Cavour in Toronto (Canada) or swinging by in person if you're ever in the area. I think they'd perform a public service by reconsidering their dedication to prestige brands ($1250 Loro Piana sneakers?!) in favor of introducing lesser-known makers at reasonable prices. But their window displays, online journal, etc. do embody a coherent sensibility, which might be described as a vision of "Italian country gentleman in North America." Part of what distinguishes this curation from other import boutiques is its comprehensiveness; the selection is not focused on one or two classes of goods, like silk scarves and ties.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads