• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Alpine or Italian style shops and blogs

Lol1000

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

can anyone point me to a blog or also online shop that handles the Southern European gentleman style? I love the Cordings/Connelys/Tweeds of the world, but I was curious about the Italian gentleman style beyond the big brand names.

I have been to Turin and saw lots of shops where you can drown comfortably in loden, coloured merinos and all sorts of leather goods. Hiking and hunting were big themes, but they were all local mom&pop shops.

I also went through Permanent Style, where he talks about individual items, but not the overall Italian/Alpine/Southern European style.

Any hints from the well-travelled crowd here? Thanks a lot!!

Spinster Jones

Reaction score
It's hard to find good examples, I've tried, so I'm curious as well. And I can't find my old links/pictures, but I'll post what I have.

The Italian mountain style is synonymous with the "Alps style"; as the mountain range stretches between Italy, France, Switzerland, Germany, Austria etc. Therefore every country has it's own contributions to the style, with local varieties.

The whole aesthetic is centered around wool worn to shreds, and then mended. Usually they are hand-knitted. Dachstein, an Austrian firm, is a good example;
Dachstein.jpg

Robert W. Stolz does a good take on the loden coat;

Stolz loden.jpg

Lol1000

Reaction score
I think people are missing the point here. I am not asking for mountaineering outfits, but Northern Italian/Alpine gentlemen outfitters.

Spinster Jones

Reaction score
I love the Cordings/Connelys/Tweeds of the world
loden, coloured merinos and all sorts of leather goods.
Alpine/Southern European style.
I'm not misunderstanding. You're asking the wrong questions. I've pointed towards leather goods (boots), loden coats, and merinos. The actual alpine Cordings (=country) style.

Show us some pictures of what you're looking for then...

JJ Katz

Reaction score
I think I understand your question. However, it may be posed incorrectly. Whereas traditional British "gentlemanly" style covered formal, semi-formal town and tailored country-wear, there is no such range of items that could be defined as "Alpine/Northern Italian". I.e., Alpine clothing could only refer to mountaineering clothes or traditional items like Austrian trachten, lederhosen, etc.

Norther Italian 'town' tailoring, of course, needs no introduction.

But there isn't an Italian or Swiss-austrian equivalent of tweed jacket, tattersall shirt, corduroy trousers and brogues.
Or, rather, a gentleman from those places would wear a variation of those of an English gentleman.

Loden cloth and 'Loden-style' coats are perhaps on exception.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite Shorts Length

• Above the knee

• Knee length

• Below the knee

• None of the above

• Mid-thigh ("short shorts")

Results are only viewable after voting.