• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alpha hydroxies

FRATERNITYSTUD

Reaction score
Normally I use a Clinique facial bar, but decided to buy Zirh's Clean the other day. They claim that their cleanser has three times as many alpha hydroxies as the average cleanser, and I was just wondering what they are and how important they are? Also, any takes on Zirh's Clean, and are there any other better cleansers out there??

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've used Zirh Clean from a free sample packet. It does feel refreshing, probably due to the menthol in it. The menthol in the product is the reason why i didn't buy it though; after a discussion about Zirh a while ago on this board and how they pack their products with menthol. Instead I purchased Lab Series Lift Off. Power Wash. I've had really great results with this because it is non-drying to the face, so ill use it as much as three times a day.

pstoller

Reaction score
The hype on alpha hydroxies is that they do everything from exfoliating your skin and stimulating new cell production, thereby smoothing the surface, to firming up the skin by boosting collagen production and increasing moisture absorption. Is it all true? Beats me. Because these acids are naturally derived (from fruit, milk, etc.) rather than lab-produced, they don't fall under the purview of the FDA, so claims don't require the same level of proof.

That said, I use products with alpha (and beta) hydroxies, as does my fiancÃ
00a9.png
e, and we've had positive experiences. Not all formulations are identical, however, so the mere presence of some form and concentration of alpha hydroxy does not guarantee anything.

Also, skin types vary widely, so a product that works wonders for me might wreak havoc with your skin. It wll probably take some experimentation to find the product with the best balance of active ingredients for your complexion.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's very dependant on the concentration of the AHAs. As a former biochem major I can tell you they're not a gimmick. There's hard science behind the working of AHAs, it's not just marketing hype (although I'm sure there's a lot of it mixed in)but as pstoller says, like a lot of things they can have different results with different people.

I have Lab Series Moisturizer with spf15 and AHA/BHAs and the results have been generally favorable. I had very minor acne for several years, when I started drinking water instead of coke it went away; not cause of the coke though, it was cause i never drank water. Anyway when i did have it, I never had huge outbreaks, just a couple pimples here and there. When they started to get sore or the whitehead appeared I'd pick at them without even thinking about it. This obviously caused scabs. When they were healed, there would still be little red spots on my skin. Sometimes it would go away completely but sometimes they stick around and obviously they start to accumulate. I've been using the labs series product for a couple months now and the little spots, which is actually damaged collagen, are starting to disappear. This is far from an overnight process however so you have to get a product and stick with it.

AHAs can actually cause little red spots (pretty rare i think) on some people though, often these go away as your skin gets used to them. Obviously if they keep appearing stop using them

Reaction score
That's good news to hear. I use Clinique's Facial bar as well and am pretty well satisfied with it, but in conjunction with my daily facial regime I bought some AHA serum that I add to both my exfoliator and rub it on my face after everything is done and before I put on my moisturizer. I have only been using it for maybe two weeks, though, but notice that my skin is in better condition ever since. Hell, I even rub some of it mixed with a little Tea Tree Oil between my fingers and apply it to my hair after shampooing and I notice a difference with that as well. I have acne prone, oily skin, and have found that this simple little serum has improved my skin a good bit. However, I am looking to completely rid myself of all of these acne scars and whiteheads that I have. I actually found a home chemical peel that seems to work decently, but is there anything else to get rid of these acne scars? Like someone else said, I found myself picking at my face without even knowing it and it's a VERY hard habit to break.
Thanks
Allen

ulf

Reaction score
Check out http://www.cosmeticcop.com She explains the hows and whys of stuff and reviews products for men and women. (She also sells her own stuff but still appears to be objective.)

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I will second GQ Geeks comment about the Aramis Lab Series Moisturizer with AHA/BHA, SPF 15. This stuff works very well for me. I was previously using a conditioner with SPF 8 by Mary Kay Cosmetics called Skin Management for Men that was sold to me by a girl I used to work with. It was ok, but I no longer work with the girl who sold it to me and having to call a MaryKay salesperson and arrange for a delivery everytime you run out was a real pain.

I have tried the Lift Off. Power Wash samples that they gave me and I liked them, but I actually find that plain old Noxzema works really well for my skin.

I also have the Lab Series Eye Rescue and I find that it works as well as the Polo Sport undereye stuff I was using before and is somewhat cheaper. I am curious about trying the Nickel undereye treatment that was mentioned in another post.

Bradford

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the anthony logistics line for men is actually much better, from my own experience using the various lines, they have a glycolic cleanser that is amazing as well and does its stuff

there is either the menessentials.com website (that has a tonne of tips and articles you can also read in addition to buying) or the anthony.com site which is strictly a online shopping site from last time i visited

F4iryder14

Reaction score
Just wondering if anybody here could give me the basics on what you guys do for facial care. Ever since probably high school I have used clearasil foaming face wash and an oxy pad or something similar to keep my face clear, and it seems to work fine for me. I am lucky that I will just get an occasional pimple and have not had to worry about bad acne or anything like that. I did however, notice you guys talking about facial moisturizer, which seems to me like it might add to breakouts (I think I am assuming they might be oily, not sure), and also the types of bars/cleansers that you say you use. Like I said I don't need anything hardcore or too expensive (if you can get it at Wal-Mart, all the better), just good daily/preventative care. If I missed a past post on this feel free to point me there, or if anybody has any advice it would be greatly appreciated as I would like to start young (24) with taking care of my face if the products I am using are not a prime choice.

Kevin

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads